Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello all!

I hope your hunting is going better than mine. Sometimes I feel like I am on a wild goose chase...

I recently found a 1920s map of my local town and wondering If it would be worth my time.

Do you think the location of an old bank may have some coins or am i fooling myself?

There is now a vacant lot where a bank once stood in the 1920's...is it worth hunting?

==============================

2-3-09

Today, I went to the old bank site and was promptly kicked off by an older guy who said that the guy over there who owns the old movie place said I need to leave or he is calling the cops.

I replied "I never saw any signs, there were no signs."

ahhh...It pays to get permission folks....even if you dont know where to get it..lol
================================================

If you need a good map try sanborn...

http://sanborn.umi.com
Larry

Upvote 0

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Where to hunt: Old Banks?

Banks usually keep up with money pretty seriously. I doubt they lost any. That doesnt mean customers didnt drop coins though. So in that case I think it would be as likely of a place to find coins as say a grocery or other retail shop.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Old banks depending on how old, may have large amounts of iron rebar or mesh remaining. Might make it difficult to hunt the site. But hey, maybe they had a ride up window for them thar horse drivers. Check it out and let us know!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I would treat old bank sites the same way I treat any other old-town-vacant-lot site (or old-town demolition, etc....) hunt it! Whether it was a saloon, bank, store, etc.... just work it. They often-time had drip-grates that led to the under-floor/crawl-space, or were often-times just the "1920s" location for whatever had been there in the previous "board-&-batton" generation, etc....

I've done well in old-town-urban demo's. And the question of "what type business" was there before, is not much on my mind. If it's in old town, I figure there was people-traffic. And that's all I care about. :)

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When was the bank torn down. How long has it been a vacant lot. If it has been a lot for any mount of time. Kids will play in a empty lot so there is potential to lose money. So yes i would go for it hunt hunt hunt...Matt

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Try it and let us know.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You (nor us) will ever know until you try.  I tried at a site that was a bank in the 1920's.  I had permission to hunt there and a house next to it from even earlier.  I didn't get one signal.  My opinion was that probably it got hunted out many years ago. 

Hopefully there might be some coin spills out there from people leaving the bank or going to it all excited that they had a little bit of money in their hands. 

Good luck and let us know what you find.

HH

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

Small town bank in the 20's, no asphalt or concrete parking area at that time. Still a lot of people riding, getting on and off horses and horse drawn wagons. May have had wood floors and a wood porch front. Lots of dirt everywhere to conseal a lost coin of the time. Nah, I wouldn't hunt it. Best to just give the address to me. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread