New MXT

A

artur

Hello All,
Well I made the big purchase today and bought the Whites MXT. Of course without reading the instruction manual I took into my fairly cleaned out front yard. This machine is a replacement to the GTA1000 PM. So far I am very impressed with this metal detector. What I like.

-Ability to find targets in areas of concentrated trash
-The depth. I pulled some Wheaties at the 8-9 inch range with a fairly strong signal which the garrett completely missed. (we have decent soild in Tennessee/kentucky)
-the ability to discern between nickels and pulltabs (to a degree)
-good weight
-overall very quality feel
-sensitivity to small targets, I found a fishing sinker stuck on top of a rock at about 4-5 inches down
There will be more posts if you would like, i've had about 2 hours of play with this machine

Here is what I don't like
-The screech at close targets in the PP mode
-the disicrimination is iffy, but along with an exeperienced ear, ID....it's not an issue unless you are a new detectorist
-The headphone cord plays havoc on the toggle swithches
-when you place the detector down, there is a whole lot of chatter (more of an annoyance than anything)

The only mode I've played with was the coins/jewelry more, and maybe I will be able to better understand some features once I read the instruction manual.

Upvote 0
R

RRey199

Thanks for the info. I'm in the market for the MXT. Keep us informed.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, I DIDNT buy an MXT, though I considered it, for the following reasons:

1)? The model I saw didn't have knobs and switches, but a digital push-pad and readout, and these have something of a reputation for going haywire after a few years.

2)? The thing weighs a lot more than some detectors, and I couldn't take the box off the shaft and put it on a belt clip.? I'd rather spend my energy digging up goodies than swinging the battery case.

I still want one, though, if White's will make adjustments on the two items above, because:

1) They are great at finding thin chains and tiny nuggets; better than anything else out there that has the same versatility, and

2) They do have a wide range of discrimination.

Good luck with your machine, and let us know how you do with it!? Post some pix of your finds in the 'Today's Finds' section if you can!

OP
OP
A

artur

Hello,
Yes the MXT is a bit heavy but I feel it is well balanced. I think the model you were looking at was not the MXt, as the MXT has no touchpads, but is completely conrolled by knobs. The verdict is still out on this model but so far I'm pretty impressed.

Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread