New Wisconsin DNR Metal Detecting Laws

CoinShooter-Craig

Jan 3, 2009
Langlade Co , WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac / Tesoro Vaquero
Hi there fellow detectorists. I just went to the Clubs and Friends - Wisconsin section and was saddened by a post from a Metal Detecting Club President here in Wisconsin with a link to the Wisconsins DNR website on their new metal detecting laws. It makes me feel like I just wasted $1,500.00 on my new E-Trac because I won't be able to use it in the area that I live in. If you are curious about the new law here is the link. http://www.dnr.wisconsin.gov/org/land/parks/other/metaldetect.html . I for one feel like I'm on the endangered species list and about to go extinct!!! What can we do about this injustice?? Anyone have any suggestions(?) , because before you know it they will be doing the same thing in your area (If they haven't already!). I feel we should all decide on a day a couple of weeks from now and everyone who this affects or who is concerned about this issue should write a letter to their congressman , the DNR office , or whoever you can think of that we can voice our concerns and displeasures to. Anyone have any better ideas or suggestions on what we can do(?) , or before you know it we'll all be looking for different hobbies or activities to enjoy in our spare time. Just a concerned detectorist voicing my opinion. CoinShooter-Craig

Upvote 0

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep...its a shrinking world out there.

Couldn't find which link you were refering to...maybe copy and paste it here.

Around here, the DCNR so far, doesnt have much regulations on detecting with the exception of some historical sites.

For us it's the Game Commission Property we're banned from. And you're talking millions of acres. Acres full of lumber camps, bygone mining towns, ghost towns.....

Pretty tough battle to fight them with out a major organizational influence.

I keep a low profile in the woods......

Al

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope i could not find the link either ???

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 983
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 962

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I like to hit Bigfoot Beach a few times a year. Too bad for me. I'll post a note to them but remember, they are doing this on YOUR land, not THEIRS. It is up to the taxpayers in Wisconsin to start dismantling their over aggressive DNR department, which is so full of bureaucracy it can't find the red tape anymore.

OP
OP
CoinShooter-Craig

CoinShooter-Craig

Jan 3, 2009
Langlade Co , WI
Detector(s) used
In my area the DNR is buying up any land they can get their hands on in my area. I'm not so sure it is "Our" land anymore. I think if we make enough ripples it could turn into a wave. Alot of little voices can get loud if there are enough of them!! We need to ban together and do what we can to ensure that we and our childern can enjoy this great hobby if they so choose. Thanks for your voice!! Craig
Lowbatts said:
I like to hit Bigfoot Beach a few times a year. Too bad for me. I'll post a note to them but remember, they are doing this on YOUR land, not THEIRS. It is up to the taxpayers in Wisconsin to start dismantling their over aggressive DNR department, which is so full of bureaucracy it can't find the red tape anymore.

Old Relic

Oct 21, 2005
North Prairie, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX
If the link doesn't work for you, here is the text from the DNR page:

Using Metal Detectors on DNR Land
Metal detectors may be used on DNR land or waters only for locating specific lost personal items. A special permit is required.

Conditions of Permit
A property office may issue a metal detector permit only to a specific person or designee for the recovery of one or more specific lost personal items, which must be described in the permit application. The permit specifies a limited search area within a DNR-managed property and a specific time between May 1 and October 15 when the detector may be used.

Any proposed metal detecting within recorded archaeological sites requires review and approval by the DNR archaeologist (metal detecting is generally not permitted within reported burial areas, in any case).

Found Items
Any recovered item(s) must be presented and reported to the property office for comparison with the permitted recovery. The property office will keep all recovered items not belonging to the permittee.

Archaeological materials (50 years old and older) may not be removed from their locations.

How to Get a Permit
To get a metal detector permit, contact the manager of the property (park, forest, wildlife area, waterway, etc.) where you want to use the detector.

For more Information, ask Mark Dudzik, DNR archaeologist, (608) 266-3462.

This is huge for us in Wisconsin. The DNR controls an enormous area, plus there are two National Forests that occupy much of the upper third of the state where detecting is banned.

Relic

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Like Al says: "I keep a low profile in the woods......" We're talking thousands and thousands of acres, right? So sure, I can understand the archie who doesn't want you on his obviously historic monument, but is anyone really way back in the mountains or remote forests who really gives a darn? Here in CA we have some serious sounding cultural heritage/artifact type wording in our state park rules too. But what odd, is some (most?) of the state parks here can be detected at will, even right in front of rangers, and they could care less. One time however a certain hunter at a state owned beach here got his b*tt chewed out by a passing state archaeologist who just HAPPENED to be at that beach, on just that day, because he was going to be giving a seminar in a park's building in the parking lot above the beach. When this md'r told the tale of his booting on a local CA forum, several of us figured we'd better look into this, fight it, or whatever (thinking "oh no, does this mean state beaches are off-limits? etc...) But the more we looked into it, the more we realized that there was, in fact, wording that, if morphed correctly, could indeed seem to say you can't hunt state beaches :( And so it was just quietly determined to leave good enough alone, and treat this one fellow's incident as "isolated". Because state beaches get hunted routinely, and there'd never been any other problems. So why rock the boat?

S

seger98

Tom_in_CA said:
Like Al says: "I keep a low profile in the woods......" We're talking thousands and thousands of acres, right? So sure, I can understand the archie who doesn't want you on his obviously historic monument, but is anyone really way back in the mountains or remote forests who really gives a darn? Here in CA we have some serious sounding cultural heritage/artifact type wording in our state park rules too. But what odd, is some (most?) of the state parks here can be detected at will, even right in front of rangers, and they could care less. One time however a certain hunter at a state owned beach here got his b*tt chewed out by a passing state archaeologist who just HAPPENED to be at that beach, on just that day, because he was going to be giving a seminar in a park's building in the parking lot above the beach. When this md'r told the tale of his booting on a local CA forum, several of us figured we'd better look into this, fight it, or whatever (thinking "oh no, does this mean state beaches are off-limits? etc...) But the more we looked into it, the more we realized that there was, in fact, wording that, if morphed correctly, could indeed seem to say you can't hunt state beaches :( And so it was just quietly determined to leave good enough alone, and treat this one fellow's incident as "isolated". Because state beaches get hunted routinely, and there'd never been any other problems. So why rock the boat?

Well said!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And just to point out....it does say on that web site ...it is funded thru taxes and fees...

Guess who's paying the taxes and fees?

This land is your land, This land is my land,
from California to the New York island;
From the redwood forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me.

As I was walking that ribbon of highway,
I saw above me that endless skyway:
I saw below me that golden valley:

I’ve roamed and rambled and I followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts;
And all around me a voice was sounding:

When the sun came shining, and I was strolling,
And the wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling,
As the fog was lifting a voice was chanting:

As I went walking, I saw a sign there,
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn’t say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back,
this land was made for you and me.

Woody Guthrie...1940

Have we become so apathetic over the years?

Al

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I've written on this several times in the past and really caught the crap for telling the truth.

What you're seeing happen in Wisconsin, happened in Michigan several years ago.

Basically, state land is off-limits to the average THer...that's it.

They have little "you can keep it if we don't want it" rules which basically mean they keep it.

Here in our state you can be arrested for even having a metal detector in your backpack while walking over state owned lands. I know many will poo poo that but I have a son in law enforcement and he knows many of our top DNR officials and he knows how things really are.

Some COs are nice guys and may give people a break. However, many will not. We've had people right here in this county arrested for as little as blocking the entrance to state land because the lady was changing her baby's diaper. I know...many will say NOT! but it did happen.

Here's what's up.

While the whole thing seems complex it's really very simple once the fat has been removed.

We have the archaeologists (and those of the same interests and philosophy) apposing the average John Doe who wants to dig goodies.

We're losing because the archeologist's have the lawyers and laws to back them up. What do we have? Great emotions but unfortunately no real power.

I read in one of our papers recently where the DNR is searching for clues to who it was who dug relics from a ghost town near Traverse City Michigan. These people most likely only got horseshoes and rusted pieces of junk but I pity them when they get caught. Sooner or later someone will talk. It might be 10 years from now but that makes no difference.

Back a few years ago a shipwreck diver in Michigan's Upper Peninsula was arrested due to his angry X ratting on him. He had a house full of Great Lakes shipwreck stuff.

I see all these Copper Culture relics the guys in Michigan are digging. If they come from private owned lands--all is well. But I've heard most come from state land. I've even heard of guys using heavy equipment on state land to remove large pieces of float copper. If they get caught today it's bye bye birdie!

Those busted digging native American artifacts and relics from other state owned sites are handcuffed and hauled away like any other criminal. And too all they have is confiscated.

So, if you defy the law, take care my friend. If I were you I'd drive my worst vehicle to the site and use my lowest cost detector.Don't take your kids with you and make sure you have $5000 in the bank. :thumbsup:

MB

Old Relic

Oct 21, 2005
North Prairie, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX
I agree with Badger. My wife's uncle is a retired Wisconsin warden and one of the nastiest people I know; the kind of guy who would ticket a mother changing her baby's diaper. As much as I'd like to find fur trade and copper relics, I have no desire to risk an encounter with one of these guys.

Granted, the odds of being caught are slim, though maybe not as slim as we'd like to think, but there is still the moral issue: the law is the law, whether we agree with it or not. And the practical issue: I hunt to relax and I don't want to always be looking over my shoulder and filling my shorts every time a twig snaps.

Relic

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strong emotions is about right MB.

About 10 years ago, a buddy and I were out camping in a State park for opening weekend of trout.

We were the only 2 in the campground...it was still pretty cool and we had a pop-up trailer...no water or other services because it was still too early in the season to open utilities in the park.

Anyhow....we had a nice bonfire going around 1 in the morning, pitch black outside and we were drinking alcoholic beverages.

Now at 1 in the morning, you don't expect any intruders, unless it's the 4 legged kind....right?

We hear a crashing through the trees...and out pops 3 park rangers.

It's a good thing for them we didnt have any firearms....sounded like a bear crashing towards us....and their uniforms were brown...lol

We got scolded for having an open bottle of alcohol and they poked around our belongings outside the trailer...but they left shortly after without any fines...just a warning.

They must have snuck up on us til they were ready to break the woods edge, then just hurried in...like they were gonna catch us really doing something bad.

At least daytime detecting...I can see whats comming.

Al

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Relic said:
I agree with Badger. My wife's uncle is a retired Wisconsin warden and one of the nastiest people I know; the kind of guy who would ticket a mother changing her baby's diaper. As much as I'd like to find fur trade and copper relics, I have no desire to risk an encounter with one of these guys.

Granted, the odds of being caught are slim, though maybe not as slim as we'd like to think, but there is still the moral issue: the law is the law, whether we agree with it or not. And the practical issue: I hunt to relax and I don't want to always be looking over my shoulder and filling my shorts every time a twig snaps.

Relic

Excellent post and 100% correct!

Well done.

MB

OP
OP
CoinShooter-Craig

CoinShooter-Craig

Jan 3, 2009
Langlade Co , WI
Detector(s) used
Ya I know what you mean about the DNR being unforgiving. A couple of years ago my cousin was fined for fishing without a liscense because she was casting a line out with a worm and bobber for her 5 year old son and then gave him the pole to fish because he was too little to cast. The warden saw her casting for her son and considered it fishing even though she explained that she was just casting the line for her son , but she got fined anyways.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Same thing here in lake County Ohio I was put out of a Lake metro park for not having a permit.So i went and got a permit but any thing of value i found had to be told to the park Then they might just keep it but the permit was free. But when you was going to hunt in the park you were to call them and let them know what park you was going to be in..............

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 837
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 842

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
CoinShooter-Craig said:
Ya I know what you mean about the DNR being unforgiving. A couple of years ago my cousin was fined for fishing without a liscense because she was casting a line out with a worm and bobber for her 5 year old son and then gave him the pole to fish because he was too little to cast. The warden saw her casting for her son and considered it fishing even though she explained that she was just casting the line for her son , but she got fined anyways.

Generally speaking the DNR is hated everywhere. Granted, there are some COs who are pretty decent people. But as a rule even our state troopers can't stand them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions