Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally I haven't been subscribing to treasure magazines.

But recently I purchased 2 back issues of American Digger Magazine because they feature a treasure hunter I buy Spanish relics from (from whom I buy Spanish relics).

I found I really enjoyed them!

Then the thought struck me--this is the type of thing more moms and dads ought to have in their homes for their children to read.

Think about it.

With all the depressing crap out there these days (no future jobs, super bugs, drug abuse, etc), why not show the kids there's still something positive that's worth working for?

I really believe we become what we think.

Treasure magazines are a whole lot more than wish-books. They can (under the right influence) become tremendous motivators to education. And lets face it--Americans need wholesome education these days.

I say take the challenge and fill your home with constructive educational materials. Treasure mags go a long way toward encouraging a desire to study history. Really, today how many Americans know anything about the history of our nation?

And too genealogical studies could be greatly encouraged by reading treasure magazines. One issue I recently purchased (American Digger - Issue 6 Vol. 2 Nov-Dec 2006) contains an article titled: "Following An Ancestor's Tracks With a Metal Detector." Now how cool is that?

Treasure mags today tell secrets that took me 30+ years to learn the hard way.

Give it some thought. I know money is tight but how important are your kids?

MB

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
No,

Books, magazines, newspapers, things of the
past, ( things we look for ;D).
all the above in some form on the internet.

World has changed; get on the internet, that is it,
it is all there, AND MORE.

Not my way but............................

have a good un................
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
No,

Books, magazines, newspapers, things of the
past, ( things we look for ;D).
all the above in some form on the internet.

World has changed; get on the internet, that is it,
it is all there, AND MORE.

Not my way but............................

have a good un................
SHERMANVILLE

;D

I was just wondering--how many young people are going to spend their computer time looking for treasure magazines online? ;D

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
I voted "yes" , when used properly. My little guy (3) was on my lap since he could crawl, always
wanting to "read" what I had in my hands. I rarely read magazines, preferring books on just about
any subject.

The result with Hunter is a keen interest towards anything treasure/pirates, we read often together
and began teaching him to read his first book "The Walloping window blind", no treasure or pirates
but does have a ship along with enough graphic material to help seize his imagination.

His treasure chest is slowly filling, hope to take him along to the farm fields this spring in search of
arrowheads (mom says he`s to young, dad says what she doesn't know wont hurt her) , we most
likely will not find anything "real" but the very first one he picks up and thinks is real, will be one of
the best treasures of all...for me anyways.

(Reading a book now, "the march" I`ll be saving this along with many others, for Hunter, a different
kind of treasure.) :wink:

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Blacksheep said:
I voted "yes" , when used properly. My little guy (3) was on my lap since he could crawl, always
wanting to "read" what I had in my hands. I rarely read magazines, preferring books on just about
any subject.

The result with Hunter is a keen interest towards anything treasure/pirates, we read often together
and began teaching him to read his first book "The Walloping window blind", no treasure or pirates
but does have a ship along with enough graphic material to help seize his imagination.

His treasure chest is slowly filling, hope to take him along to the farm fields this spring in search of
arrowheads (mom says he`s to young, dad says what she doesn't know wont hurt her) , we most
likely will not find anything "real" but the very first one he picks up and thinks is real, will be one of
the best treasures of all...for me anyways.

(Reading a book now, "the march" I`ll be saving this along with many others, for Hunter, a different
kind of treasure.) :wink:

Exactly right! Good post.

I grew up with pirate stories of gold doubloons and pieces of eight.

That childhood stuff stays with one all his life.

The magazines and books sitting around the house have an influence the computer never can have on a child's mind.

Every magazine cover is like a piece of art constantly programing the mind.

I recall when I was about 10 years old I had a hard hat diver bubbler in my tropical fish tank. He was bent over looking into an open pirate's chest. When I close my eyes I can almost see it yet.

Back when TV's agenda was to rear children to functional well-balanced adulthood, we had many great treasure shows and treasure cartoons that basically said: study and get a good job so you'll be financially able in the future to seek treasure. Quality childhood influences are of tremendous value.

MB

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep

Roll it up & Smack 'um on the rear :wink:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think the mags could hurt any as it can a rewarding hobby in many ways. Like anything else though, the parents need to show an interest in their child and their child's interests.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
DigginThePast said:
Don't think the mags could hurt any as it can a rewarding hobby in many ways. Like anything else though, the parents need to show an interest in their child and their child's interests.

Ditto,

"their child's interests"

have a good un..
SHERMANVILLE

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~ Nick P. ~ said:
jeff of pa said:
Yep

All for that ... :thumbsup:

But now a days they will accuse you of child abuse ~ Followed by a knock at the door from social services ...

I meant a tap in a Loving way :P
Just to Pest them

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
DigginThePast said:

Yes, this is true and nothing can replace this we all know.

But my parents hated treasure hunting and viewed it as nonsense and something for "beach bums."

I had zero support from them but my treasure shows and books won me over.

MB

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jeff of pa said:
~ Nick P. ~ said:
jeff of pa said:
Yep

All for that ... :thumbsup:

But now a days they will accuse you of child abuse ~ Followed by a knock at the door from social services ...

I meant a tap in a Loving way :P
Just to Pest them

That's okay Jeff--nobody's going to accuse a softy like you of cruel child abuse ;D

Old Relic

Oct 21, 2005
North Prairie, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX
Heck, all they have to do is accuse you of smacking them on the rear to their teacher and you'll have some 'splainin' to do to the authorities...

Relic

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim Hemmingway said:
Yes Badger, I fully agree with you. Oftentimes leaving potentially interesting reading material in a handy location invites children to browse it, regardless of any initial interest. Next thing, they're asking a few questions. The following autumn, they're heading north with you to search for interesting minerals/rocks. A win-win deal.

Some 24 years ago, I knew nothing about metal detecting. Happened to pick-up an unusual article written by Charles Garrett on rock hunting. By the time I'd finished the read, I knew I'd found a lifelong interest...

Thanks for bringing this idea forward, it brought back a treasured memory,

Jim.

Hey! good to hear from you Jim!

I always wonder how you're doing.

Bet you can't wait for that snow to leave.

We live in the "snow belt" of Michigan and we really got hit this year. Old timers of the area claim they haven't see a winter like this since the 50's.

Today's it's the nicest it's been in weeks.

Thanks for the comment.

MB

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim Hemmingway said:
Yep, this is the hardest winter we've ever had in my memory, and there have been some good ones in recent years. It came early and stayed, other than a week just before Christmas. We still enjoy skiing, and skating on the outdoor rinks, but a month or two in Arizona/California would be fun. :) I trust all is well over your way Badger.

Jim.

Yes we're doing alright Jim. Poor as church mice but hanging in there. ;D

I keep trying to talk my wife into going south but I know it's hopeless. She hates the heat more than I hate the cold. So, you know that means no move.

I can retire next year and I'd loved to while I can still swing a coil. But, most likely I'll work here as long as I can. Just have to be content with digging horseshoes and square nails I guess ;D

But too I know detecting isn't easy anywhere. Buckleboy and the other big finders here make it look easy but we know better. I can just see me, a corn fed northerner, walking up to some house in the deep south asking to detect. I'd be lucky if they didn't shoot me ;D Or having lived all my life in Michigan I'd most likely die of Rocky Mt. fever or get snake bit ;D Maybe I'd better stay here. :tongue3:

Take care and keep up that writing. I do some of that myself. Maybe some day you can write about a nut you knew on TreasureNet? ;D

MB

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
having W&E and Lost treasure laying around havent done much for my son, Ive had him out a few times, but when i head north, I cant get him into the woods, it doesn't matter if i find anything or not I just love getting out in the hills and streams, psychically pushing myself, and it amazing that anywhere you are out there your finding something, he plays with his cousins, at home it the computer and video games, but he is a voracious reader. my 6 yr old daughter going to be the treasure hunter, keeps asking when she is getting her machine and loves the thought of finding treasure.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Yep

Roll it up & Smack 'um on the rear  :wink:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I subscribed to my first Treasure magazine when I was 12.  It gave me something to look forward to when it came in the mailbox.  Receiving anything in the mail is a cool experience for a kid--and it is an experience that they'll have less and less of as time goes on.  Receiving a Treasure mag is so much better than getting a sappy card from an aunt that only has a signature on it and not even a personal message... well... unless it has Money in it.  :wink: ;D

I say get 'em interested, and then buy them the first year--but you gotta get 'em interested in it first!  After that, they cut grass or use allowance money.  That's the way it was for me, and I turned out ok.  8) 

Best Wishes,

Buckles

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
I can retire next year and I'd loved to while I can still swing a coil. But, most likely I'll work here as long as I can. Just have to be content with digging horseshoes and square nails I guess  ;D

But too I know detecting isn't easy anywhere. Buckleboy and the other big finders here make it look easy but we know better. I can just see me, a corn fed northerner, walking up to some house in the deep south asking to detect. I'd be lucky if they didn't shoot me ;D Or having lived all my life in Michigan I'd most likely die of Rocky Mt. fever or get snake bit  ;D Maybe I'd better stay here.  :tongue3:
MB

So I'm a big finder now?  Wow, I guess this boy from the mountains of Virginia has finally climbed up the social ladder.  :icon_jokercolor: 

MB, you're welcome to drop in and detect with myself and my team anytime, and I don't make that invitation often.  Heck, we'd even set you up with a place to stay.  This ain't the deep south--but don't worry, when we walk up to that door I'll do the talking.  My dialect is pretty good when I switch it on.  :wink:

So hurry up and retire and come on down. 

Best Wishes,

Buckles

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
My girls (12 and 13) love to go dig with me but don't show much interest in W&E mag. My girlfriends 10 year old son on the other hand really enjoys it. We talk about items found in the articles quite a bit. He also loves going detecting with me. I think anything that gets them interested in getting out from in front of the TV or computer is a positive influence. HH Charlie

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
BuckleBoy said:
MB, you're welcome to drop in and detect with myself and my team anytime, and I don't make that invitation often. Heck, we'd even set you up with a place to stay. This ain't the deep south--but don't worry, when we walk up to that door I'll do the talking. My dialect is pretty good when I switch it on. :wink:

Buckles

Will I be carried to the treasure site and will they shout BOW THE KNEE!? ;D

Attachments

• king.jpg
    king.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 144

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
BuckleBoy said:
MB, you're welcome to drop in and detect with myself and my team anytime, and I don't make that invitation often. Heck, we'd even set you up with a place to stay. This ain't the deep south--but don't worry, when we walk up to that door I'll do the talking. My dialect is pretty good when I switch it on. :wink:

Buckles

Will I be carried to the treasure site and will they shout BOW THE KNEE!? ;D

Yes, except they'll be drinkin Bourbon not Bitters. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions