Research tips?

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett GTP 1350, Ace 250, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Hey guys I am running out of places to hunt in the Springfield, Mo and surrounding area. I was wondering if anyone could give me any good research tips or ideas about finding some good old sites. I'd really like to find some old civil war sites or camps but am having trouble locating info on any, and since Wilsons Creek Battlefield is more than off limits Im at a stand still. I love this hobby but what good is a detector if you got no where to swing it ;D. Thanks Guys Josh

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Sounds like you're into CW sites. Been looking into the territorial records from OAR?

OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
No I havnt. Every time I try to research stuff online in my area it ends up being a dead end or theres just very limited information. So is there a website for OAR? I dont quite know what that it is.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Forget battlefields. Look for camps and skirmish sites as well as were pickets were posted. Check your nearest Research Library. On-line soldier diary's (I have found several this way, not here but in Virginia). Also the officer in charge kept a daily log (marched x rods today, camped near? etc.) and they can be found on-line sometimes. There was always a medical triage spot kept away from the battlefield, hard to find but if you do find one like we found in Va. you will find a ton of buttons and all kinds of stuff.

OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ive tried typing in all sorts of keywords. So if anyone knows of any good websites to search that would help greatly. Thats mostly what Im tryn to find, are the camps and small off the beaten path type of places.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html
You'll have to scour the indexes for the region you're in, then try to find some quartermaster or supply correspondence, along with correspondence detailing action or movement through your area.

See if your local paper has archives from that time also. They often reported camps and activity in good enough detail to locate the sites.

OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the website Lowbatts Ill give it a go and see if I can find anything.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
plainsman said:
keyword, Quantrill
Hmm, then you'll get the very same info everyone else who ever googled Quantrill or Quantrill Raiders got.
I think I'll google Lost Dutchman....

You might be able to make the point that not everyone will use the same information the very same way, but I would be very interested in knowing how many treasure recoveries have come from google info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread