keep it and learn it, or dump it and start over

tbarnstormer

Feb 21, 2009
I purchased, for a specific purpose, a White's TM-808. Unfortunately, its a good thing I knew the approximate area to dig, cause it turns out I had no idea what I was doing with the detector.

So, two questions;

1) do I dump the TM-808 or try to learn how to use it?

2) the articles I was looking for were coins, embedded in wax, then in glass, then in one case in rubber, the other in concrete. Even if I had known what I was doing, would I have been able to find anything? One was about 4 feet down, the other about 2 feet.

My gut tells me to try and dump the thing for whatever I can get, but, there's always that doubt, and I did kind of enjoy myself, so, I ask those who are in a position to know to provide some advice.

Thanks,

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The TM-808 would be suited for a cache of sorts, not single coins. I guess you are aware of that.

If it was/is a cache then yes you could find it, if there where single coins I don't think so.. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the TM-808 can fill in here? :coffee2:

OP
OP
T

tbarnstormer

Feb 21, 2009
It was a relatively solid lump of coins put into a jar full of wax. At any rate, I think I'm going to try and sell it, and maybe use some of the money to buy a more suitable machine for an entry level hobbyist.

thanks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
tbarnstormer: The TM808, just so you know, will only find objects the size of a soda can and larger. And even a soda can sized object, can be a difficult signal (ie.: that's the smallest it can go). Ideally, it was meant for larger objects (lunch box sized and bigger). So it would depend on how tightly packed the coins, in your scenario, are, and how many are there, etc.... When I say "it depends on how tightly packed", that means if the coins are loose, and not touching tightly, the machine has a harder time seeing it as a single object (in much the same scenario of gold bracelets that give a weak signal, because the detector is seeing individual links, if it's not TIGHTLY wadded up)

You could certainly get another standard coin/relic machine if you wanted. But be aware, that if there is a lot of small trash in the search area (tabs, nails, clad, foil, etc...) you will go crazy having to dig out all that. So if you know for a certain fact, that 1) your object is big enough, and 2) you simply DON'T want to dig anything else EXCEPT that/those larger targets, then 3) a 2-box unit is a good choice. Before you dump the 2-box machine, try this: take it out to a clean stretch of sandy beach (or out in a cow pasture far away from any modern influence, junk, etc...) in a stretch that is fairly clean of any human influence. Bury a metal thermos, or tool box, or whatever. Make sure it's a conductive metal (ie.: not iron). Bury it at the depths you suspect, and practice on that target. Practice walking all over, not just on the known spot, so that you will see the difference between silence and the target.

Without knowing what your problems with the TM808 is, it's hard to say if you should move to a different machine or not. I have personally hunted for many people, that prior to calling me out to hunt their property (for grandpa's buried stash, or sister's gold ring, etc...) did try to rent or buy a machine, and look for it on their own. But since they'd never handled a detector before, they simply don't know what they're supposed to be listening for, don't understand the controls, etc.... They usually give up and call out a hobbyists, who can immediately recognize what the person was doing wrong, and end up finding whatever object it is. So if there is a club in your area, you might call on the help of someone proficient in the type hunt your after. If they show up with a standard coin/relic machine, you will have the afore-mentioned problem of them having to weed through all the small targets. It might seem easy to tell them "pass small stuff", but the problem is, if there are belt with continuous "small stuff", something 4 ft. deep can start to be indistinguishable from lots of close-by surface stuff.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Always thought one of those two-box machines would be a necessary component to a treasure hunting arsenal. That said it is by no means an entry level rig.

The first real treasure I was aware of was a federal reserve strongbox from a late 60's/early 70's robbery. It was in a mound of sand under about 4 and a half feet of water. I stood on that mound daily as a kid who snorkled those gravel pits for lost money and goods, never aware of what lay under my feet or why that one spot was high enough for me to stand on and get my bearings from.

I gotta think those who buried it got tired of my use of it and one day, I went to the spot and box was dug out, opened underwater and the money bags lay around it cut open. I'll dig dirty pennies forever to make up for that one. Could have uncovered it very easily had I known what to look for and where I was standing.

Just don't think too much treasure resides that far out of reach. I believe the vast majority of caches are small in total face value, probably tobacco tins, band-aid tins, stoneware jugs, etc. buried in old family garden spots, comparatively shallow in depth. No need for the big machine in those circumstances.

But if you know there is something big enough that deep in that spot, then you're probably gonna need that machine. Follow Tom's advice and practice, it's the only way to know that you're on the way to a recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread