Deep Targets

D

diehard

Upvote 0
Z

ZumbroKid

Diehard, what kind of hunting do you do? Parks, yards? coin or relic. 5 inches is not much but it has been dry in most areas.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ClamBob said:
I once dug well over 30" for a garbage can lid.? Anymore, I recognize a large target after a few scoops of the shovel.

HH,
BobJ

LOL!

I'm with Bob

I once dug a hole in the sand/lake bottom at least 3ft deep while using my PI machine, and just about fell in before giving up!

Also, have dug coins at 15 to 18+ inches with the PI

HH

Lonewolfe

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
I tend to think the clay in some of the locations I hunt stops coins from going deeper than 4 or 5 inches. I feel like in other areas I am missing targets also but quite often there are a lot of small bits of mowed up soft drink cans and foil on top keeping me from cranking the power up. I have hunted for several years now with good detectors but I still feel like a novice.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
With my old Whites I recovered a Quarter at 18" on the beach, but the best it would do on dry land was arount 14". The Sov gets to 20+ at the beach and around 18 on dry land. I really believe it has more to do with learning your detector. Of course I also agree with Clutch, in that groud conditions as well as mineral content have everything to do with depth. If the mineral content is high your GB will not allow "heavy" penatration. Good luck and HH! Chris

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
I took a merc dime from 18" deep in sandy loam after spending two years removing all the higer targets

if you dig out all the trash you will find deeper good stuff

HH Vrent

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ? ? What is the deepest target you have dug,

A) Since I do cache hunting, it is different than for you. The deepest that "I" ever dug was 9 feet.

I was using a 3-D twin box, the one that White bought out for their 800 series.

It was a metal trunk that had been buried in a sandy stream bed in a hurry, but over time it had sunk to bed rock., Unfortunately it only had a small amount of silver coins, sigh, no bonanza, still it kept the bean pot full for a while.

Jose de La Mancha ( I tilt windmills )

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?What is the deepest target you have dug,

one of the deepest that I eve seen was just north of Navojoa in Mexico. A small group approached me to use my detector. The story was that an old woman had seen the Revolutionaries take over a Federal train that was carrying forced donations for the Gov't (you donate to the cause or we shoot you). She said that she had seen them throwing money, bars, etc off of the train just before a small bridge and burying it.

Since it was alongside of a main highway, they insisted upon going at night in order to not attract attention, even though the operation was legal.. Since it was a full moon, I reluctantly agreed. I quickly established that there was no metal reaction and told them that they were wrong on which bridge, they disagreed, and insisted on digging. I said "ok, but there isn't any metal down there".

They had dug down about 18 ft in steps when they hit water, they still continued digging. I, and another were looking over the edge at the man digging in knee deep water. He would take a shovel full of sand, lift it up to the next man, who in turn would lift it up to the surface.

I was getting very bored when I saw the glint of a silver coin in the shovelfull of sand & water. I was stumped and was thinking of reasons to tell them why I hadn't detected the metal withthe detector. We all gathered around looking at the silver coin when I noticed that it had been minted in 45?? Supposedly the coin had been buried in 1909 -10?? About this time the man that had been looking over the side with me suddenly looked rather foolish, put a hand to his shirt pocket, then said in an embarrassed tone, " sorry guys, it is mine, I must have dropped it while I was leaning over the hole".

This stopped the digging. that night, however on another night they even beat that ! Another story.

Jose de La Mancha ( I tilt windmills )

hubman

Greenie
Aug 24, 2005
I have dug coins in the eleven to twelve inch range with the explorer 2 , usually just whispers. I have not dug anything deeper with the The whites dfx,but have gotten the 6x10 dd coil for it that I bought on ebay, and it air tests over a foot on coins. I seem to be getting really good depth with the fisher coinstrike with the eight inch coil , over nine inches on a dime

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, let me pose another question.? What do you use to dig those signals say a foot down or deeper?? Trying to dig one with a Gator tool is almost hopeless.? I find that much over 6", I have more dirt falling back into the hole than I am digging out.? Many areas you could not use a shovel, so how do you do it?? My primary detector is a GTI 2500 which has the advantage of giving me the approximate size of the target before I dig it, so no trash can lids at 8", but the scale stops at 12", or it reads over 12,"....depth undetermined.? I usually have a good idea if it is a coin or a coin size object or some other artifact before I start to dig.? But how do I get down to it?? Monty

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a Seated Liberty half dollar at about 10" in neutral soil. I had to use a 12" trowel to do it. First I cut a deep plug with a knife, but had to dig out the dirt using the trowel.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a knife to cut a plug, then I have a short small shovel for the sub soil. I do not use the shovel in yards because of the negative immage, instead I cut a larger plug and stick with the gator digger. HH! Chris

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
I built a hole hog for digging down about 9" when I had my whites and it was sufficient. When I bought the Explorer, I started finding targets much deeper and ended up making a new hole hog, this one will go to 15" at a 4" diameter which is big enough to get my hand into without trouble. I can't cut that depth all in one shot, but it will pull a good 5" core out repetedly until it is all the way down. g45_70 kept calling me the excavator as I had my whole arm in several times we were hunting together.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visonquest, what is a hole hog? I have heard of going after something "Whole Hog", but not hole hog! ;D Sounds like something I could use, any pics? Thanks! Monty

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Hey Jim, I think he posted pics on here a couple of months ago but I couldn't find the post for ya. Great tool though, if you can pinpoint close enough to get it inside a four inch circle. It's like the tool that golf courses use to cut the hole for the cup in the green. Now, if I could only talk him into making something for the dry sand out here that is packed like....... like concrete. Oh wait... I think that one is called a shovel!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread