train depot

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
You may find some fancy and very collectible brass locks (baggage) as well as coins. Lots of metallic scrap to test your patience.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not wait, go right now. :D I'm waiting for a response from railroad office from the 1800's. If and when I get it, I'll be all over it.

OP
OP
C

cm5838

will go there saterday, have to wait till then. Also obtained permission to hunt a 1910 farmhouse, and a 1930 house, this should be good. Except the 1930's house has had tweekers for the last 3 tennants, so probly a lot of trash. working on permission for a building that was used like a moose lodge but for some portugese thing, it was built in 1920. So i should be having some fun in the next several weeks. By the way, the farmhouse i am gonna hunt, the story is that the guy that lived there had some money, but when he died his kids couldn't find anything to say where it went. they beleive he hid it in the woods somewhere, but i am gonna check that story a little more too.
Charles

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take something along to dig in the gravel. Double check between the track and the dock platform. That space between the dock and the track is a logical place for lost items to collect. If you get inside check for any trapdoors from the baggage storage areas. Some old stations had a vault beneath the floor to store valuables. jimakaks

OP
OP
C

cm5838

i was told very plainly that i am not allowed in the building, and i would be arrested if i did, so that is out of the question. and as for the track, i would have to see how much space is between the platform and the tracks that are there, as they are still used. there is also a ramp on the side of the building, would this have been for cargo or cattle, this is and has always been a agricultural town.
charles

R

rvbvetter

Was this depot for passengers to board and unboard too. Not too many cows I know, drop coins. I've hunted a couple in the past and they can be good. But be prepaired for a lot of iron scrap. Some of it big. A recent aquiantence showed me some silver coins he found at a local long gone train station. He found most of them not at where the platform was, but under a couple of trees at one end of the station. I can only guess that maybe people went there for shade while waiting for the train. HH

OP
OP
C

cm5838

it has a good size passenger area, and, a ticket window, so i figured both people and livestock

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
If you can get a decent signal without too much interference from the tracks, check down around that area too. My old mans worked on the rail road for 30 years, and was telling me the other days that the old caboose keys and the old conductor and brakemen keys are worth good money these days as collectors items. Something to look for.
Oh, and I have had good luck with an area around an old train station I am detecting. I figured out about where the horse post was, and been looking around that area. Its turned up some decent finds. Eventually I am going to post all my train station finds, once I have detected it out.

R

rvbvetter

That might explain the coins under the trees. Would make sense to hitch their horses in the shade. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread