Underwater detectors....which is best and why?

wreckrat

Jan 23, 2009
Hi,
I'm looking at buying a new underwater detector for diving with. I have used an old Excalibur before but see there are quite a few underwater detectors available nowdays. How can you tell which is the best? Excalibur is expensive but that doesnt always mean the best? What are other divers using? Is there one that stands out from the rest?
Help me please.

Upvote 0

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
The guys at Mel Fisher's company use the Minelab Excalibur. Minelab even has a poster of the divers using the Excalibur at their museum. I talked to the guys over at the museum and they all swear by the Excalibur.

Must be a reason why they use it.

OP
OP
W

wreckrat

Jan 23, 2009
Yes the Excalibur has a good reputation. I have also been told the Aquascan is used by a lot of maritime museum and acheology departments. Im interested in what the differences are between the two.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the excal is a vlf, which has good discrimination properties, the aquascan is a pulse and they dont disc between, iron, gold, silver

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's several underwater pulse detectors on the market, but of course, you'll have no way to discriminate out iron (barring a lot of second guessing on tones, sounds, etc...). So, assuming you meant discriminating underwater detectors, I'll give you my take, based on 2 I've used while scuba diving:

The Fisher CZ20 and the Excaliber: I found the Excaliber to be superior, because the long drawn out "boonnggggs" leave no doubt when you're over a target. Contrast to the fast little "beep" of the Fisher. You, as a diver, will know that the underwater world is noisy, right? Ie.: bubbles as you breath through your regulator, etc.... So I found that with the silent search CZ20, I found myself "holding my breath" so as not to miss the fast little beeps. And as you know, holding your breath while scuba diving is a no-no :)

Perhas it's just that I don't care for silent search to begin with, but for multiple reasons, I much preferred the Excaliber. Once you get used to the warbly sounds, you'll like it.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy an Excal. I bought a sea hunter instead and have had a heck of a time learning it, pinpointing with it, and in short getting to like it. Wanna buy it?

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
davest said:
If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy an Excal. I bought a sea hunter instead and have had a heck of a time learning it, pinpointing with it, and in short getting to like it. Wanna buy it?
With all due respect, if you can't pipoint with a sea hunter, good luck with an excalibur.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread