Looking for headphone recommendations...

S

Sweettoothbear

Could you please tell us... what price range your looking at?

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
Koss makes excellent muffs. They are high impedence which I would guess put less drain on the batteries. The best brand sold by Whites are made by Koss I think but the set I have was given to me by a dealer and are not Whites label. Per the dealer, 5 bucks will repair them for life per repair. Not a bad deal.

S

smithobx

I have Koss and Tmberwolf Howlers--both are excellent. The Koss are cheaper and have a lower tone, the howlers are pricey and higher pitched but are mono or sterio and will work on most any detector. Both are full size and hot in the summer. For summer use I use a light weight pair of sterio phones from Radio Shack ( about 20 bucks). ope this helps. John

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
for summer i use my regular pair of headphones but i turn them up all the way and put em around my neck, works ok ;)

F

Floater

Well I was going to help ya Batch but ya dissed me at the start here. LOL :D. Actually the Detector Pro Jolly rogers or any of there headphones are great. Jakes method also is good especially here in Florida. ( Jake you dont know what hot is untill you been down south or in the desert. ;D ) But price range and what your comfortable with is all that matters. Good luck batch and let us know. HH

OP
OP
B

Batch

Apr 18, 2004
Kusel County
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My price range probably tops out about $200...BTW, I'm using a DFX should that influence anyone's recommendation. I guess separate left/right volume controls is the only "requirement". I'm an electronics technician and have thought of building a small in-line thingy (sorry for the technical term) to add l/r volume control to the nice home stereo headphones I already own.

I'll hunt around (no pun intended) for links to the ones mentioned already and check 'em out.? Thanks again for the help folks!

HH,? Batch

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
The whites KW pro set I use have dual volume controls. They are very sensitive and in the word of a friend of mine ( a professional treasure seeker) a must. They are made for Whites by Koss, there is a Koss part number but I don't have it. Seems like it was A 46 or 96. They are studio grade head phones. I am not sure my hearing is acute enough to notice the difference but I do like them better than the cheaper brands. They are also warranted for life as I was told. For 5 bucks you can have them repaired. I don't know if that is thru whites or Koss. The speakers are very high quality. The only draw back would be it doesn't have a switch for when you lay the detector down and it starts chattering. You could use the volume controls but they aren't convient to get to.

FWIW

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
I'm using Killer B's. I bought the "Wasp" model though they sell a number of different ones. They cost me about $80.00 as I remember. They're very comfortable. Have dual volume and a limiter switch that's supposed to keep your ears protected from loud surface signals. What I didn't know before I bought them was that the limiter switch works best with detectors that have their own volume control. Which my MXT does not have. So in retrospect I could have saved a few dollars by getting a pair of headphones without it. Grey Ghost headphones are very similar to the Killer B's and are another well built, high quality phone.

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
On my Explorer 2, I use the Detector Pro Rattler phones which are the one sided model. I have the original and very nice Koss phones that come with the explorer, but after using the rattlers, I would never switch back. It is nice to be able to hear what is going on around you but yet still be able to focus on the detectors sounds, just a simple matter of where you focus your attention at the time. It is the best of both worlds and extremely comfortable which I was not at all expecting. The quality is top notch as well.

When I had my XLT, the phones I had purchased with it (claimed to be the best for it by my whites dealer) were really crappy. They were never comfortable and went to complete unusable garbage in a matter of 2 weeks at most.

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Gray Ghost, any model that suits your detecting...goto detectorpro.com and chose the headphone tab. The headphones are great at keeping sound out and giving a really crisp audio response to the detector. Highly reccommended.

JW

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
Sun Ray Pro...

I have a set of the new SR phines. They are very comfortable, dual volume controls, stereo/mono switch, and a limiter switch to keep those loud blasts away. I love them, they fold up to about the size of a softball. Did I mention they are comfortable? Good warranty too.

A little cheaper too.

J

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread