Radio Shack Discovery 3000; any good?

Pistolero

Sep 27, 2005
Millbrook, Al.
Hello all,
I have a Radio Shack Discovery 3000 I got a few years ago. It was made by Bounty Hunter and is very much like some of BH's models. I have only used it two or three times at a CW campsite in N. Alabama so I always used "All Metal" mode. I have not used the discriminator or notch modes much and don't know much about them. But using "All Metal" mode I managed to find some shoe nails and heel irons, nails, old barbed wire, pieces of metal, and a modern ball peen hammer (which I kept and still have and use on occasion). So I reckon it works ok.

My question to you more experienced and "in the know" detectorists, is the Radio Shack Discovery 3000 a good detector?
Thanks,
Pistolero
Millbrook, Al.

Upvote 0

RainDog

Jun 10, 2005
middle Ga
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Discovery 1100
It is a good as the the person who is interpreting what it is telling them

OP
OP
P

Pistolero

Sep 27, 2005
Millbrook, Al.
Hello all again,
Thanks for the input and advice and what have you. I found a piece of metal, just a sort of rough rectangular block about two inches by 2/4 thick, at a Union camp site beside a small creek. It was about four or five inches down in very dry, hard red clay in the dead of summer. It goes a little deeper in soft dirt or sand.
Dave

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When all else fails, read the directions. Don't be afraid to read the owner's manual but don't try too much information at one time. You'll become overwhelmed. Just read one paragraph at a time and master the techniques that one paragraph teaches you. Then move on to the next. Remember one of the most important things though. You'll learn by doing. Basically, your discrimination knob should be turned up to right where you begin to hear a low tone on your nickels and no higher. If you go too high, you'll eliminate your gold rings. If you find pull tabs at your nickel setting, notch them out by waving the pull tab in front of the coil as you hit the notch touchpad. The pull tab should become silent. You then do the same for your iron nails and so on. You can actually, after a while, with your ears, differentiate a pull tab from a nickel if you're still finding certain types of pull tabs, you'll still also be sure to find much of your gold rings at this setting if they're out there to be found. I've been hunting for 25 years, off and on, and found (one) solid gold birthstone ring set with a topaz around 6" down. So meaning to say, rings are not too common to find. Never found any gold coins (yet) but most importantly, you HAVE to be in the right area to find one. It's not so much about luck. Go after your clad (post-1964) dimes, quarters, halves, dollar coins( President Eisenhower) and go after your (occasional) silver coins (pre-1965 dimes, quarters, halves, and dollar coins), and then finally, your nickels of any age, and you'll have the winner's mindset. DON'T say to yourself every time you go out metal detecting, 'I've GOT to find gold and silver because if and when you don't, you could become discouraged really quick and that's how many get discouraged and either give up or they blame their detector, calling it a piece of crap when it's actually the operator of the detector who hasn't learned to use the machine properly and/or don't have the right mindset. Tell yourself, 'If I do find some silver and/or gold, well great but if I find clad coins and some junk, well that's okay too because, believe me, after a year's time, the common change will REALLY add up QUICK. In about a year, you should have enough common change to pay for some or all of the cost of your detector, and maybe MORE than he cost of your machine, trust me. Just keep at it. Good luck and happy hunting. Greg.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Radio Shack Discovery 3000 and once i learned how to interpret the signals i got with it I did pretty good. It does just as good as my Ace 250. I sometimes use it next to my At Pro to better understand it. I was going to sell it but decided to keep it once I learned how to use it better

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread