tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I get a bad pain in my neck and upper back after detecting. :( Just figured out it's probably from wearing headphones! To keep the phones on my head while bending over to put down the detector and to dig targets, I have to hold my head upright, extended. Repetitive and strains it. Anyone else having trouble keeping headphones on? The only way around this would be to take off the headphones when diggin targets, not a happy scenario where I detect in trash and dig most targets above foil.
Killer B's and I don't have a small head or ears, LOL.
I'm thinking of modding the dam headphones so they will not slide off......
Ideas? Or is it only me?

Jeez and I cut down on my digging to save the back!
jeez.jpg

Upvote 0

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a set of small ear piece head phones. Each side has a hook that goes over your ear. I paid something like $5.95 for them and they have a volume control on them. Hardly know they are there. They also let ambient noise in, I always worry about someone coming up behind me and not knowing they are there. That has even happened with the ear piece phones but not nearly as often.

Look at a Walmart in the area where they sell cell phone and portable CD players. Depending on your machine you may or may not need a built in volume control, if your machine has a volume control then you don't obviously. And you may, again depending on your machine, may need an adapter to go from the 1/4" headphone plug to the small one on the things I describe. If you can't find an adapter where you get the new phones then go to a Radio Shack. And you will find the same kind of head gear at Radio Shack also.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with a pair of "bubble headphones" (Pioneer brand) from the late 60s. They have an extra long spiral cord, so I never have to take 'em off when I put the detector down.

-Buckles

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I use Ratphones with no problem. The cord is a perfect length so I never have to take them off when I put the detector down and it does not get in the way while detecting. They are snug but comfortable. I haven't had an issue even after hours of hunting and I believe you could probably do a handstand and they would not come off.

Idaho hunter

Jan 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350- Ace250- 10X WORKHORSE - GARRETT PRO POINTER - Mighty AP digger
I had a problem with the head phones falling off when i bent down to dig and
came up with a fix to keep them in place, just wear a baseball cap and put the
head phones over the cap. I also had a set of head phones and one side quit working
so i just cut one side off and use one head phone which works for me . i can hear
the cell phone ring and also hear people coming up to talk to me.

B

BIG61AL

I use just the "on the ear" type as opposed to the "cover the ear" type. i like to hear what going on around me. I want to know when someone gets close to me - especially teenage boys. The younger kids are just curious. I usually wear the headband slightly pushed back since my head is mostly pointed down for long peroids of time. A ball cap helps hold the it on. I 99.9% of time wear a hat no matter if i need one or not. You have to watch your sun exposure. I had a pre-cancerous tumor recently removed on my scalp. And I got that even with wearing a hat most the time.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
First off you need Badger Brand muscle soothing crap (see avatar).

Next, forget those stinkin overpriced phones!

Get a nice light pair from Radio Shack or WalMart (up here they say Wall-Marts). You may need a plug adapter from 1/8 to 1/4 but it's worth it. They're super easy on our fat heads and cool in the hot summer.

I'll get bombed for this but those expensive hadphones are mostly BS.

I've gotten 2 or 3 of these with new detectors and I sold them after trying them out. They don't hear any better and some hear worse than cheap phones.

Badger

OP
OP
tomclark

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other