Best Detector Under $1000 for Coin/Relics?

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Hello...I am in the process of upgrade fever!!! I have a White's 5900di/Pro SL and an ACE 250. Been using the White's for some time now. Bought the 250 for the boy and tried to get into it, but can't. I have been leaning towards the Minelab Safari or the X-70, but would accept any info on comparable machines like an MXT (price/performance/depth,etc.). I will be hunting primarily around old foundations, wooded areas, and plowed fields. Also, it would have to work in this tough MO soil!!! Pretty much whatever gets the most votes, best stories,best information, is what I will buy. Thanks for any and all info...Jeremy.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A used Explorer (especially the first and 2nd generation Explorers) can be found for less than $1k on Ebay. But to switch to the Exp. (if you're used to Whites and Garrett), it's best to go out with an ace (not just a sand-box hunter), to have them show you the ropes. Flag signals back & forth, watch the way the swing, what they're listening for, etc... Because it's a whole different beast than other makes/brands. Once you get the hang of it, you'll never look back :-*

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom and company tear it up on the silver,but I have to recommend the M.X.T. as you mentioned relics as well.The M.X.T has a "ReLI",mode which is a mixed mode(The X.L.T. has one as well but not the same as the M.X.T.)and it gives you both Iron "DIG"(Ferrous and non-ferrous)signals.I love it,you get more depth with it too.It is great for hunting around cellar hoes and such.If you get into too much trash you can switch it over to coin-jewelry and get more disc.,team that with a small snooper coil; and it is a great machine!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one that beeps.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
lairmo

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Tom_in_CA said:
A used Explorer (especially the first and 2nd generation Explorers) can be found for less than $1k on Ebay. But to switch to the Exp. (if you're used to Whites and Garrett), it's best to go out with an ace (not just a sand-box hunter), to have them show you the ropes. Flag signals back & forth, watch the way the swing, what they're listening for, etc... Because it's a whole different beast than other makes/brands. Once you get the hang of it, you'll never look back :-*
I've watched some videos...it does look hard to learn. Of course the vids on the Safari look/sound totally foreign to me also..Not sure if I want a used machine though. Kind of want that warranty just in case. Thanks for posting a reply. Still might be flipping a coin as to what I buy...

kuger said:
Tom and company tear it up on the silver,but I have to recommend the M.X.T. as you mentioned relics as well.The M.X.T has a "ReLI",mode which is a mixed mode(The X.L.T. has one as well but not the same as the M.X.T.)and it gives you both Iron "DIG"(Ferrous and non-ferrous)signals.I love it,you get more depth with it too.It is great for hunting around cellar hoes and such.If you get into too much trash you can switch it over to coin-jewelry and get more disc.,team that with a small snooper coil; and it is a great machine!!
Of course my main goal is to find a gold coin, but, given the area I reside in, that might be tough. So, since i live in an area with CW activity, the relics remain high on the list as well. My uncle has the X.L.T., and I've watched him pull just about everything out of the ground, sometimes right behind me >:( . With some of the specials right now online, it has really come down to a fight between the M.X.T. and the X-70...(one of my other uncles sells Minelabs)...Thanks for the info.
BuckleBoy said:
one that beeps.

Regards,

Buckleboy
I really wish they would make one that "rumbled" instead of beeps...kinda like playing a video game...Also would help with the 'hard-of-hearing' people.... :tongue3:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold coins can be found anywhere there was people!!They come in as Pulltabs or zinc pennies on the M.X.T..The mixed mode kind of rumbles and squeaks! :wink:

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
you might want to check out the Garrett GTI 2500 it is their top of the line and is under the price you stated good luck.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The hot number right now is the Fisher F75 which can be had for $900 new if you do some looking.

The Fisher F70 is also a big hit and the F70 with the F75 coil is probably the biggest attraction going at this time.

As stated above the MXT and the others are also very well liked.

Badger

OP
OP
lairmo

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone for your replies...(mainly just from watching what people find and post) I've come to a decision. I might be sorry for it but I've chosen the X-70. (plus got a free pioneer 505) for the boy thru kellyco. Looks like I've got quite the learning curve ahead of me....

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
MXT. It will find gold necklaces whereas some of the others you mentioned will not......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread