First TICK of the year....

M

michigan michael

I will take ticks over bees! Cant stand bees!

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Several years ago I was out hiking in snow during January during a warm spell and picked 26 ticks off my pants. They don't bother me. I change cloths when I come home and check my self over for any on my body. Occasionally I miss one and only find it after it has borrowed its head into me and I feel a sore spot. So far no lyme decease.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Deer ticks are so tiny they are hard to spot, but they do pack a wallop. Have had hordes of the larger ticks on me, but they come and go around here. Was at a spot yeterday with ten deer standing about 15 feet from me, they were nosy but no ticks yet.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticks are active kyear arouind. They hide in the bark of trees and come out if you rub against the tree or if it is a sunny day and it hits the tree just right. You can pull back the bark on just about any tree around here and find a tick. Of course they are a lot worse in the warmer weather because they stay out and actively look for a warm blooded animal. They are attracted by carbon dioxide that you breathe out. So, stay leaned up against a tree too long and they will sneak out and grab a ride. Lots of spotted fever and limes disease around here. You really need to check every time you go out. Monty

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
has anyone out there gotten the innoculation against lymes disease? they are really pushing it here. don't know anyone here that has gotten lymes

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
My doctor just became aware of the vaccination for lyme's, currently it's three dose treatment over a one year period. So you'd have to know you're at risk to go get it. Had a neighbor who suffered long from it back when it first appeared around here. Very terrible disease to get. It's still a very regional thing.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
BULLSEYE First TICK of the year....

Lowbatts i just did a quick search but all i read, I could be wrong, a vaccine was taken off the shelve in 2002 i saw nothing new on it .
NewEngland and Great lakes are some of the heaviest infested with the hottest and coldest territories having less
My daughter had it and some of my friend children A month of antibiotics was the treatment there all doing well.
A tell tale sign is a red bullseye the size of a half dollar or so It hits hardest on Adults so spray up and cover up I will
Good Luck Mike G

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not because you had a tick, but because you had a tick - which means either its been riding around on a warm host all winter, OR - it's been 45 degrees or above for a long enough time for it to be able to get somewhere - which means..........

spring

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
Pulled one out of my side Saturday night. I was hunting an old homesite lost to the woods but apparently there are still some things staying there.
I got hit about 4 years ago, had a big bullseye on my back when the fever and chills hit. Ended up on antibiotics for 2 weeks.
I did not think they would be out yet.
Just picked up a new can of deep woods off today. I will not be going out without it.

Being more careful
Joe

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea.

And, remember, there is more than one kind of Deep Woods Off. (3, I believe).

But only one has 100% (actually, I think its 98%) Deet. (Deep Woods Off Sportsman) The others have only 25% Deet and 30% Deet.

Here, the skeeters don't seem to stay away from the 25% and 30% ones very well.

B

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Nasty things, I am going to try the Repel clothing & gear. Sprays on clothing only and lasts for weeks and is suposed to kill the ticks. I will also have something on skin, too. I hate those things. Once you feel them crawling on you, it feels like something is crawling on you for the rest of the day!

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
John (Ma) said:
I hate those things. Once you feel them crawling on you, it feels like something is crawling on you for the rest of the day!

I am glad I am not the only one who feels that way. I had one on me last summer and the whole day I swear I could feel them crawling on me. ewwww!!!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes, when we get in tick-crawling areas, when we get home, I feel like a monkey - going through each others hair, and ears, and inbetween toes ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My one son (while living in Virginia), and after an afternoon of fishing, got one between his toes (which we didn't find until he looked like he had an extra toe), and my other son found one - uh - well, he found it right away, because he had to pee, and we found one inside my daughter's ear.

Needless to say - that's how we developed the "check all areas and crevices" the minute you get home philosophy ;D

We also quit walking through the tall grassy area on the way to the lake.

B

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Gonna be REAL BAD around my area with ticks, CHIGGERS, fleas, noseeums and mosquitoes this year....
It never frosted or froze once this winter. Woods are going to be horrible in some places. :'( :( >:( :tard:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
I use Cutters, it's always worked better than the Off brands IMO. It actually seems to chase those bugs away, not just keep 'em off ya.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked one off my hip two days ago after working a church yard. Good advice on the DEET bug repellent. Gonna get some post haste.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread