I am in the market for a new detector...opinions?

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i would suggest the fisher f-5, sounds to be alot of bang for your buck, i run a t-2 and many of the features are similar, fast grab for ground balance, fast target recovery, light weight, choice of # of tones

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I guess we should clarify, when you say new detector, do you mean brand new, or just new to you? Used adds to the choices, but for $500 many new detectors fit the description as something you might want.

You probably know you can get target ID, depth indicator & non-motion pinpoint for about $200 new in the Garrett Ace 250 or Fisher F2.

If the idea is to get something better than those, the Fisher F5 mentioned previously is probably a good choice. I had one, but replaced it with a used Fisher F70, which I got for under $500. I also got a Minelab X-Terra 70 used with 2 coils for under $500. Target ID, depth reading, non-motion pinpoint, + they are both lightweight & use 4 AA batteries with rechargeables being a good choice if you detect frequently.

I have terrible soil & only dig signals likely to be coins. Deepest with F5 was 4" and with Fisher F70 5"+. A Garrett Ace 250 got me 3 1/2" with ID lock.

Think the Tesoro DeLeon is under $500 new? (somewhere around there). White's has Prism V, but Prism 6T (599.95 new, but occasionally seen used) would be better.
The 6T offers backlight & ground tracking & faster response. 8 AA, under 3 lbs.

Teknetics offers the Delta 4000 for $399 & the Gamma 6000 for $499. You can read a good analysis of the Teknetics & Fisher newer models at non-commercial site www.fisherf75.com

China offers a detector with visual ID, tone ID, depth reading & non-motion pinpoint under $150 (air test 10" on quarter).

Bounty Hunter offers Land Ranger & Time Ranger under $500.

Older detectors can offer good value for money, but tend to be heavy and may require many more batteries.

You can see professional reviews at www.losttreasure.com and reviews by anyone at http://metaldetectorreviews.net/ This site will make it clear the wide range of opinions on any model. Frustrating to see "one of the best' & "one of the worst" being said about the same detector. Some reviewers may have misadjusted something, but often which detector does best will vary with the soil.

If one detector was best for everyone, we'd all be using the same model. I guess a deciding factor might be what most call little things, that bother or please some people more than a little. Most will recommend whatever they use.

I realize I've rambled on & maybe just made it more confusing. I will try to help if you have more questions. Oh, then there are some high-tech detectors made overseas in all price ranges. Plus all the coil sizes, shapes & types.

A site with no mfr or dealer ads, but tech forum with engineers, field testers & long-time detectorists is here: http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/

HH all, George (MN)

OP
OP
SteveDodds

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
Well I bought the F5 from Kellyco this morning. I got the Bounty Hunter Pinpointer to go with it. Kind of excited.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enjoy! Best of luck with it.

Remember, it takes some time to learn any detector. Bury a few coins in a test garden and practice on them.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
You can pick up a verry well used Whites M6 for under $500. Excellent coin and jewlery machine. Look under dealer classifieds on this site and Dallas has a nice one for $450 delivered and still has warranty remaining. Good luck

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Contact Fisher dealers and look for a $500 deal on a new F70 with 5-year warranty.

I did this and found one.

Get the F70 and you won't need another machine for 10 years.

Badger

OP
OP
SteveDodds

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
My F5 is supposed to be here today. Getting tired of waiting. I took the day off from work so I could go mding. Its still not here. I wanna track down the UPS man and get it from him so I dont have to wait for him to come to my house. :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread