can someone tell me how to ground balance?

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
No dumb questions, just dumb answers. :wink:
So, I am not going to answer for fear of saying something dumb. ;D

Actually, we would first need to know what MD you own. Some units are manual and others are automatic.

Then, those with your machine might be able to help.

Good Luck!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And some have no adjustment and claim to be "automatic" but are actually pre-set and fixed. :wink:

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Don't feel dumb about asking this question. I have a Bounty Hunter Land Star and still have problems with the ground balance. One of these days I will get it figured out correctly, just keep reading the manuel and practicing.

Sue

OP
OP
R

RetRmy

Apr 17, 2007
thanks for the advice, I have a whites 5900DI, at least 10 years old. It took me awhile but I found a manual online and printed it, but since have lost the pages for ground balancing. the manual called it "fine tuning"

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a knob for ground balancing? The md's I've had that had one followed this process. You turned the md to all metal mode, held the coil up in the air and noted the loudness of the threshhold sound. Then you lowered it to the ground and noted whether the loudness went up or down. The goal was to have it stay the same as up in the air. So, if the threshhold got softer as you went to the ground, you turned the knob one way, if it got louder, you turned the knob the other way. You keep raising and lowering it and turning the ground balance knob until the threshhold sound stays the same whether up in the air or on the ground.

OP
OP
R

RetRmy

Apr 17, 2007
thanks for the tips Susan, that was laymans terms, and now I know what to do.....appreciate it.
RetRmy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread