Ace 250 vs. Xterra 70?

snyper77

Nov 27, 2008
Greenwood, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I have an Ace 250. I have done a few air tests and I only get about 4" range on coins. I've also noticed that when actually detecting, all the coins have been 4" or less. A close friend just bought him an Ace 250, same thing....all coins are about 4" or less deep.
I don't think it "sees" coins past 4 or 5".

I've found larger items at 8-10" easily, but it has a tough time with coins.

I've been considering an Xterra 70. Do you think it would find deeper coins/jewelry than the Ace 250?

Upvote 0

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Well it should..... I noticed the same thing with my ACE250. It really struggles to see down 6" on a coin. It is now my backup-backup. The Xterra 70 seems to be a good machine from what others have said.

Greg

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
dollars don't always mean more depth, try turning up the sens until it becomes unstable, then go back one notch.
also, try only discriminating out iron and nails. maybe the increase in sens will get you a little more depth.
If you really want to go deep, there are detectors out there that will do that.
but part of the depth is the machine part is the coil. the bigger the coil the deeper it will go, generally

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the ace250 for a year before I got it, and I found a lot of coins in the 6" range with it. One time I found an indian at 7" and I believe that was the deepest coin i ever dug with the ace250.

I hunt with a guy who uses a DFX and he was always finding deeper coins so I figured I needed to upgade and i chose the xterra 70. My finds have greatly increased on older, deeper coins, it separates targets better than the ace. the x-70 is a much deeper machine. And really you don't have to watch the screen, I dig according to tone and volume of the tone. With the ace the tone is the same no matter if the coin is 1" deep or 5" deep.

With the x-70 the deeper it is the quieter the tone, so you really need good headphones to hear those deep coins that give off a little whisper. good luck!

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are good machines.I have the x-70 and love it.I use a 6 inch DD coil and have found coins at 10-12 inch's with it using all metal and full sensitivity.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10-12 inches with the 6" coil......? wow I'd love to see that on a video! I never get more than 6" depth with my 6" coil on coin sized items, maybe deeper on large items

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
10-12 inches with the 6" coil......? wow I'd love to see that on a video! I never get more than 6" depth with my 6" coil on coin sized items, maybe deeper on large items

Are you running allmetal full sencitivity ? The soil is kind here abouts and I seldom have a problem with falsing. I just found a barber dime with my Explorer xs (10 1/2 coil ) today at about 18 inch's. ;D

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I dug a Classic Head large cent last fall at 8" with my ACE 250. I was using the 9"+12" coil in nice VT topsoil. I do plan on buying myself an X-70 and look for some deeper stuff as too. I still have a few weeks before I can start swinging my MD :'(

VPR

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a Quater down at 8'' with my ACE 250

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
Your depth with the 250 should be better than 4". I've found coins at 6" or more that I've dug, with some readings deeper that I passed on. To be honest, I really don't want to dig farther than that--too much work, expecially for clad. Now, if someone could assure me that it was silver (or better) then I would carry a bigger shovel with me. When I hit better hunting grounds I'll go deeper.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt all metal 100% of the time with my x-70, It gives much clearer signals that way

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive got a 250 but im really leaning toward an x-70 as a third deep diver.ive read alot of good stuff about it so it might be worth try. :thumbsup:

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should definately hit more than 4" in an airtest with the ace250...i can airtest at just about 2 times that number with consistancy....soil depth will vary according to soil type but for the $$$ i am still impressed with the aces abilities

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The X-Terra 70 should be significantly deeper than the Ace 250. While the Ace 250 might do OK in an air test, it is unstable in many soils beyond sensitivity 4 or 5. At those settings, 3 1/2 to 4 inches was the deepest it could get accurate ID in my soil. Digging iffy signals, maybe a bit deeper.

I just got a X-Terra 70 & the air test is impressive. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but I may be able to within a week. I have 7.5 KHz & 18.75 KHz coils for it. I think it will do good. HH, George (MN)

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about the 70 but the Ace 250 is good to about 6" for me, and that's about all. I did find a 1873 IH at about 8" one time in perfect soil and that is the deepest coin I have found with it. Silver dimes.... well, the deepest was 6" and only a few times. I did find a SLQ at 6" or so and it sounded pretty good. I would have to say that the Ace 250 has been very good to me hunting the swimming areas around here in the fresh water lakes. I have found quite a few gold rings with it like that. Most read as a nickel, one as a pull tab and two as foil. All of the silver rings came in as a dime except one large one and it came in as a quarter/half signal and it was about 2" deep. The Ace is also a killer in the wood chips. I know it's a whole different type of hunting but it will pick up dimes easily at 6" there.

DANGLANGLEY

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
I have had the pleasure of owning both the Ace and the X70, both machines are terrific. The Ace for the dollars paid is an awesome machine and you should be getting better depth than 4 inches. I think you should try running some air tests with different settings till better depths can be reached. The x70 is a great machine when set up properly also, I found an 1854 half dime at ten inches with mine. Never be afraid to run tests to see what your machine is doing, I am a firm believer in test gardens and air tests. You can own a ferrari, but if ya don't put in some gas it don't get down the road any faster than a volkswagon!

HH
Slipperyjack47

Shadowmanflash

Jul 4, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150 & 250
Hello All, I'm new to your site as a poster, but have read Treasure net for a long time. I finally decided to get to where I can talk with others about metal detecting and finds. What a great hobby it has been.
Anyway, seen the posts on the Ace 250 from a lot of people and decided I wanted to see what you all thought as well. I started about 10 years ago for a few years, then had to stop for a while because of health, but now I'm back into it and have hit it hard the past three years. When I started back I got the Ace 150, just to see if I could get beck into it and enjoy it as much as I did before and I did. So for the past 2 1/2 years I used it and I got to tell you, for the money and the time I spent researching the detectors before I bought one, I don't think you can beat it, by any machine. In fact I liked it so well, when I finally decided to uprgrade somewhat, after long research and comparissons, I again came back to the Garrett, but this time, the 250, because I wanted a little more sensitivity and descrimination and of course, depth is always important. The pinpointer seems to work pretty well to.
Anyway, I have to agree with most of you on the 250, it is a good machine and seens to get better as time goes on. I to at first had some trouble with depth, but never any troble finding something, even the junk. If everyone would stop and think for a minute there is know perfect machine and if there was, you would quickly learn the loss of the thrill of the moment if you dug up something good every time. It's the junk and the wish that keeps you going and when you do finally hit the one for the day, it makes it all much more worth it, at least it does for me. I hate the junk to and do get frustrated at times, but it's still worth it.
I have air tested the machine to death and have teated it in my finds garden at all depths. I can tell you it's all in learning your machine and what makes it tick. I can tell by most of the posts that you got it down. Use your sensitivity and try diffrent size search coils, it makes a diffrence. I mostly search in all metal, coin or custom and illiminate pull tabs and bottle caps, then on custom, I usually take out it all except the silver and coin stuff. Unless I am specifically searching in relic or jewelry mode, then I change the sensitivity more than anything else. I can tell you for fact I have found coin, silver, quarter and dime at 12 inches, in fact my first coin was a 1917 Mercury Dime at about 9 1/2 inches, in my own yard and I have searched it numerous times with my 150, and the 250 found it and others. The same day I found my 1934 Buffalo nickel, both of which are in very good condition. I was very happy that day, even though I was hoping it was the 1016d, or the three legged buffalo but it wasn't. Oh well, I know I'll find them soon enough, hopefully. I have two 6 inch coils, the 12 inch and have had good sucess with them both. The small one for trashy areas and the large one for big areas and depth. I'm now considering getting the new 10 inch Excelerator EQ2 they just came out with for the Ace, thay say it is awesome and it's on sale right now for $99.00 bucks at Kellyco. Say it is better for depth and illimination. If someone has one already, please post how it is and if you like it, I usually wait to hear, but I don't want to loose the sale price either. Final note, like I said earlier after long and extreme search and reviews I picked these two machines for the money and the finds. I am looking at the X-70 as well as the Whites Spectrum XLT and the Minelab Explorer SE Pro as one of my next machines, but I'm not done with the 250 yet. I'm sure I'll keep both of these I have, because I know what they can do for the money. Sorry the post is so long, but I figure first time is usually the longest. Happy dirt fishing out there and good luck to us all. In Oklahoma.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread