Tips, hints on how to get 9 yr. old mding

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I recently got a new md. After my 9 yr. old stepdaughter seen it she says,"What are you gonna do with your old one?" I said," I dont know." She says,"If you are gonna get rid of it, can I have it?" I said,"We'll see." My question is what is the best way to get her to start using it and not get discouraged? What would be the best way to teach her the right way to md? I already thought about planting some stuff somewhere and letting her find it. Is this a good idea? I tried to take her out with me once about a year ago and it didn't work out to well. She just couldn't understand about how to swing it back and forth. Or maybe it was my teaching. I could really use some suggestions here. BTW my old one is a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202.

Upvote 0

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Do you have any tot lots in the area that don't get a lot of people detecting? She is sure to find some things there. A good tot lot would certainly get her excited. And, if she gets bored, she can hit the swings while you detect.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show her some of the posts on Tnet and not just the :o posts. Screen some of the youtube videos to make sure they give a realistic view and show her those.

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
I am going to get my 10 year old grandson started this year he has expressed a lot of interest in doing it maybe start out with a little coin garden so he gets used to the sounds coins and different things give off and then do some tot lots easy places to start with.
by the way he will be using a Garrett ACE 250

retiree

Mar 18, 2009
Grand Prairie,Texas
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I took my 14 year old daughter to the local lake to hunt the beach.I showed her how to use my ace 250 and I did the digging. The first thing she pulled up was a old rusted eye bolt. she was so excited I asked if I got a new md and gave her the ace would she go hunting with me this summer when school was out. Said she definatly would.

snyper77

Nov 27, 2008
Greenwood, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Basically, all you can do is take her, spend some quality 1 on 1 time showing her the basics of it all. At 9 years old, it's a roll of the dice. All you can do is present it to her and see what happens.

Think of it as going fishing:
  • you throw out your line (showing her how to hold the MD and how to read the screen)
  • you wait for a nibble (if she shows excitement to all this, then you win!)
  • fish aren't biting (if she seems totally uninterested, it's not a total loss, give her 6 months and try again)
I recently bought my 9 and 12 year old sons an Ace 250 for Christmas (hoping they would get away from those dang video games!). I didn't want to plant something and let them find it, because personally, I feel that's WRONG. You are NOT doing your child any justice by "lying" to them. Let the genuinely learn what it's about and let them really find some lost coins.
So, I get my kids an Ace 250 and my 12 year old is now addicted to it! Takes it everywhere he goes! "Dad, can we take the metal detector with us." That's all I hear from him (thank God, the plan worked to get them away from video games). Now, my 9 year old, that's another story. At a park, he'll walk around with me and his brother for 5 minutes....then he's headed to the sliding boards, swings, playing in a sandpit, etc. He's just not "into" it like his older brother.
So, your 9 year old may differ. She may jump all over it and love it. Just give it a try, be gentle, be patient, and reward her for finding stuff. One tip I can give you..... after she gets the hang of it..... ask a few of her friends to go with the both of you on your next outing. Let your daughter run the machine in front of her friends. She will feel "in control" and important. I've tried that with my kids....and their friends were all amazed, watching them run the detector. After a few minutes, they were all asking "Can I try it." Best wishes....and God bless you and your daughter. :icon_sunny:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a good bit of research for them, and take them to an old site where they (and you!) will find old, cool, and interesting things. If they are old enough to understand that they are the first person to touch these items since they were lost 100, 150, or 200 years ago, then they'll be Hooked! And every outing is a lesson in history--just by the virtue of What you two will find. The joy of figuring out what these items are, or were, and putting the pieces together is something that will never fade from memory.

Kids are worth it. Hit the books.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always tell her that she either goes metal detecting (with enthusiasm) or does housework and yardwork - take her pick.................... :tard:

Seriously, if you have a place that has some easy, renewable pickings (like a fairground or carnival grounds where rides replenish the supply every year), I'd take her to a place like that.

The idea of a "personal detecting" lot is GREAT - having a seeded spot, where she can get good at finding stuff - and maybe even an extra little 'bonus' find or two, can probably go a long way. (she keeps what she finds, of course).

All the other suggestions are great, too. The only thing I would be careful about is, depending on her size at 9 years old, that it doesn't get tiring - with the weight of the detector, etc.

Heck, every summer when we start going out alot, I overdo it - my arm will shake so bad I cannot drink (hold) a pop bottle.
And then, the next morning, it feels like it is going to fall off (of course, my own choice :D ), but, if she is kinds small, she may need shorter trips - but more of them, until she builds up those detecting muscles. Shaky tired arms can really interfere with your swing!

B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This one I have a lot of experience with. My 10-year-old son has been detecting with me for the last year. One of the things I did when we started out was tell him, "Buddy, I'm going to plant some targets (coins) in the backyard for practice, everyone you find you can keep." If you do this, don't plant more than a handful and spread them out pretty good as you don't want them to get the idea that its always going to be like this. But it is good practice and sets them up for learning how to use their machine. Make sure you're nearby to help and not swinging a machine yourself, so you can help them learn the machine. After doing that once or twice take them to a school yard you've scoped out and are confident there should be some targets. Just like in fishing, the idea is to keep their interest up. Also, when you're out detecting expect them to get distracted once in a while and start doing other things, like play on the swings or play in the dirt. Let 'em, their kids and the most important part of taking them out is spending time with them and talking about whatever they feel like talking about. Just make sure that its a positive experience, regardless of how much is found and they'll want to keep going out with you.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
SteveDodds said:
I recently got a new md. After my 9 yr. old stepdaughter seen it she says,"What are you gonna do with your old one?" I said," I dont know." She says,"If you are gonna get rid of it, can I have it?" I said,"We'll see." My question is what is the best way to get her to start using it and not get discouraged? What would be the best way to teach her the right way to md? I already thought about planting some stuff somewhere and letting her find it. Is this a good idea? I tried to take her out with me once about a year ago and it didn't work out to well. She just couldn't understand about how to swing it back and forth. Or maybe it was my teaching. I could really use some suggestions here. BTW my old one is a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202.

I'd take her places she is almost sure to find coins like a park. etc for starters,
yes you will need to be patient, and at times just turn her loose with it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davew0710 said:
Do you have any tot lots in the area that don't get a lot of people detecting? She is sure to find some things there. A good tot lot would certainly get her excited. And, if she gets bored, she can hit the swings while you detect.

Might add in a few of your old coins & of those gum ball machine toys that are flash plated to keep interest going. You can drop one or two & push it under with your toe. Bon't forget to give them their own "special THing apron" for their finds.

Another good thing about starting them in a tot lot is it's a lot easier for them to get in the habit of filling their holes.

joshuall

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2009
barry a nintendo DSI in the dirt by yer house and let her find that..she will never put it down! :headbang:

LaKASkill

Jun 2, 2009
Biloxi, MS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The problem I had was making my kids understand that what they might find, is old. I use comparisons like, "This penny is older than your grandmother" or "this house was around before your great grand parents were born". Stuff like that.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
First thing you do is to get your upgrade,
leave the old detector at home but take her with you and as she sees you pull these old finds out of the ground...
ask if she would really like to try it for herself. Next time bring the old detector and her.
give a quick intro type tutorial (not too long, attention spans being what they are)
and let her hunt while you hunt on a tangent adjacent to her so as not to interupt her.
(Salt the area if you have to to make sure she finds good stuff)

If she sticks with detecting ...
she has a birthday or Christmas coming, give her that old detector.
if she doesn't stick with the detecting...
there is always eBay.

Yellowhouse

Jun 24, 2009
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV; MXT; Ace 250
Beaches! Unless you have a sandy well mowed hotspot that has never had a detector on it.

Nothing discourages a young one more than having to cut through roots in hard ground only to come up with a tab. Just like fishing....go easy first. And I like the idea above of seeding a spot to make it a game.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions