No trespassing at schools

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
I have been hitting some tot lots lately, as the chips are defrosting faster than the soil. I have noticed that a lot of schools have posted no trespassing signs recently.
I still see people walking and bike riding on the property, but I am a little leery of digging a school posted no trespassing.
Has anyone else encountered this situation?

Upvote 0
S

seger98

I haven't seen that anywhere, I guess you could always ask for permission to detect the property & tell them only on weekends would you detect when no kids are around. The signs could be up to just keep the kids safe durning the week? ???

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that here in NC I have seen some schools like this, and it depends on where the sign is will depend on wheather I hunt it.
If its posted to the side of the building and I will be in the ball field, I don't worry about it to much.
If its on a post in front of the entrance to your field, I might have reservations.
Something someone told me a long time ago, is that Schools are "PUPLIC PROPERTY" and as such, your tax dollars build and support
these places.

The signs I believe are designed to discourage looters and vandals and give an open door to Police to arrest or prosacute anyone seen
doing damage or stealing from school property....

That said, it seems unlikely that anyone would say anything to someone who was looking for coins and "NOT MAKING A MESS" of the property.
I personally have never been told to leave a place like this, but that is just my experience.

Just my 2 cents worth..

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I ignore them around here, like everyone else. Cops respond to calls and if they find something they don't like, then they enforce the rules.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The No Trespassing signs are a legal maneuver to help in the event of possible lawsuit.

Technically, if someone gets hurt on some property--the principles involved are held responsible by the court. The signs may be used in court as evidence that the injured person was trespassing and thereby violated his rights to seek legal remuneration.

It's far more complex than this but you get the idea.

Come see me at my office sometime ;D

Badger

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I also ignore those. As was said, they are placed there so that if a jogger or someone using the swingset slips and falls, they can say "you shouldnt' have been there in the first place". Signs like that are placed at shopping centers also ("private property, permission to pass revokable, blah blah), but I go to shopping centers all the time too. Around here where I'm at, those signs became common-place about 20 yrs. ago. They are placed next to open gates that people still go right in and walk their dogs, jog the track, after-school type stuff. If you're not being a nuisance, odds are, no one cares. On a case-by-case basis, you may have a school employee who may usher you on. No harm done. To alleviate that, go after 5pm when the last of the late-staying teachers/staff are gone. And no I wouldn't "ask", because you will risk getting a "no", when odds are, no one ever gave the matter thought, nor would they ever have paid you any mind. (until you asked).

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Torrero, Don,t let the term "Public Property" confuse you. federal parks, and battle fields are public property but you won,t catch me detecting there. Even public property is cared for or manged by someone. If it is not posted as no metal detecting a nice phone call or email, offering to return identified items or look for known lost items goes a long way.

Ed D.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many such signs are for when school is in session even though they don't say so. High schools have problems with older kids and dropouts hanging around during school hours. Your presence during school hours waving your detector and digging would probably attract attention from the young kids and detract from the lessons and their teacher at the grade schools. The liability thing also comes into play. I recommend being sure school is not in session. A school maintenance guy once approached me and asked if I was aware I was on school property. I replied that yes I did, very much so, and after all I paid for part of it. He just laughed and went on. A few minutes later he came and asked me to help him find a buried drain cover which I did within just a few minutes. Now he always waves or asks me if I'm finding anything and goes on about his business. Monty

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Monty, good point, some people think they'll go there during school and do whatever, this is folly and begs prosecution.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
The No Trespassing signs are a legal maneuver to help in the event of possible lawsuit.

Technically, if someone gets hurt on some property--the principles involved are held responsible by the court. The signs may be used in court as evidence that the injured person was trespassing and thereby violated his rights to seek legal remuneration.

It's far more complex than this but you get the idea.

Come see me at my office sometime ;D

Badger

Exactly! A lot of times it's to make it easier to cite someone. If it's posted you can cite them, if it's not posted. Best you can do is try & intimidate them off the property. The other thing it helps with is for example a case of vandalism. If it looks shakey proving they're the vandals you can still pop em with tresspass or cite em for vandalism & tresspass, that way when the judge throws out one charge hopefully you still have em on the other charge. Like they say, when in doubt ask permission.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my hometown it is illegal by state and federal law to carry a gun onto school property. I know many of us go healed legally or otherwise, but if you are caught it could mean big trouble. I always lock my backup friend in the car if I go on school property. (One thing we haven't discussed).
Also it is unlawful to interfere with a school official or interrupt a class, or to loiter on school property once you are asked to leave. That goes back to older "Kids" or dropouts hanging around the school or irate parents who cause a disturbance. Four or five people a year get arrested at our local schools each year. A lot of the former class are known to push drugs and drugs are a problem at any school. If you think your schools are drug free, you are kidding yourself. Monty

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always hunt school property on the week end or during the summer when school is out and never had any trouble.>>.Matt

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live in an area where the schools are fenced better than a state prison ??? I've had pretty good luck starting a couple weeks before school starts. Usually can find the janitors getting the school ready. All the guys I've met went out of their way to give me permission, even letting me know what they've heard as far as good stuff lost. Since they're fenced, it's like hunting virgin turf. :icon_sunny: Of course offering up some sodas out of the cooler to me is a fair trade & the least I can do to say thanks. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread