Eight Months out of the ground

OP
OP
J

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
CS1969 ,Not quite sure of the correct nomenclature yet.Have not found one in my search on the web or tool pat.For sure it's some form of drill bit.Information on item- HERCULES 15/16 HIGH SPEED. Letters W&B inside a diamond box,eleven and a half inch long. G09 stamped on side.has very sharp edge,top not damaged as if by a hammer.think's it must be used with a air hammer for rock or in a mine.With the condition,and sharpness,after lots of cleaning i don't think it was used much before it was lost.Found on old farm that is now lost to time itself. was told by an old timer that it was used for making holes in wood or logs for the old time wood nails.It would work for that application with a wrench,BUT one would have to have a HIGH SPEED wrist given the information on the item.Thanks for the intrest.Open to any information-HH-Jarman

OP
OP
J

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Mr, Belvetron,Item is 11 1/2 inch long.Photo does look like a spike ,But given the info on the bit and the sharp cut edge 5 in all ,Does not show on phto,well Ithink it is some form of drill bit.Thanks and HH-Jarman

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jarman, I am about 90% sure that the spike looking thing is called a "Broaching tool" spelling may not be right but it was designed to be pushed through metal rather than turning, usually by a hydraulic press, rather common in machine shops/shipyards of the 1800s, any of those in the area?
They started with a small hole and I think heated the area and pressed this through to make a precision opening for another part. Make sense?

OP
OP
J

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Desertdigger,We could have a match.Icould see that application working.Was many machine shops in area in 1800's to early 1900's.Even had one early on that made cannon's and ball's for the civil war.Thanks-HH-Jarman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread