Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is for the MDist who finds trash in a hole and either leaves it on top of the ground or puts back into the same hole.

You're not hunting smart. You should always remove trash and carry it away with you. Have a trash/treasure pouch or nail apron. Unless it's just too big to take with you - don't leave where you found it. Bag getting heavy? Well dump it into another trash container or bucket.

Why? because you're working against yourself. The next time you hunt that area - you'll find the same trash and possibly miss the deeper good finds. In fact in the woods, you may dig up the same trash in the same day. It's easy to circle around to the same spot in the woods. Does that make any sense?

Upvote 0

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
:-\ HI OCEAN7,COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE.YOU MAKE MANY GOOD POINTS.I RETURN TO THE SAME SITES MANY TIMES.MY FIRST HUNT IS THE TIME TO GO OUT AND HUNT.DON'T WANT TO DIG UP THE SAME TRASH.I SEEM TO ALWAYS DRAG OFF MORE TRASH THEN KEEPERS.SPREAD THE WORD. HH

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This makes good sense, however I am not a garbage man and where I hunt there is so much trash that I could not possibly pick it all up. I would be spending all my time heading for each trash can on the beach. In the forest, this might make sense if you are hunting the same spots over and over, but lets face it, most of the time there is too much trash to pick up. In a forest, the acid will eventually get most metals, and on the beach, the harsh salt water will eventually disintegrate the flip tabs and aluminum cans. The ocean is a wonderful recycler and our beaches are hunted every day by many detectorists. I still see some people pick up the trash and I do on occasion when I am disgusted by the pigs who leave this mess. My suggestion would be what I have thought all along. Get the police to do their job! and start handing out $1000 littering tickets to people. I never understood why the city turns a blind eye to this obvious money making opportunity. They already ding folks who bring bottles to the beach and have made smoking illegal on most beaches to our north, but they do not enforce even the basic littering laws. Just one guy with a ticket book could pay for his whole entire years salary in one month of writing tickets for littering. And they say they have no money for extra people. That's a bunch of hogwash as far as I am concerned. They are just not "working smarter". There's plenty of trash to go around. I do pick up anything that cuts feet or appears to be dangerous to little kids. Our aluminum cans here in California are not as much of a problem as they may be in other states because we pay the bums to pick them up. Each can is worth about 2 1/2 cents so they don't stay long on the beach. Just as an experiment this year, I am collecting all cans that cross my path and fillling a trash can or two with them. I want to see how much I can get in extra cash from all of the cans I have passed up in the past. Most people here just leave them on the beach for the bums. As far as the regular trash, the city pays people to do this job. What I see as a problem for us detectorists is the new generation of trash that consists of foil lined ketchup packets from the fast food joints, and the foil cap lids that seem to be on every drink these days. They sound exactly like a gold ring and provide many frustrating hours of wasted time over a hunting season. One thing I do agree with though is to fill ALL holes. Too many people think that a hole at the beach is no big deal when using a detector, but if there is one thing that will ruin this hobby quicker than anything, it will be the indignant TH'er that decides that they don't need to fill the hole they just made. We have a guy who uses a shovel here every season and will absolutely not fill any of his huge holes. He has told other detectorists who have approached him to basically "blow off". This attitude is what leads to bans on hunting beaches and permits to hunt. When this happens, I will be selling my detectors. I am just waiting for someone to sue someone for falling in a detecting hole and breaking an ankle.
8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread