Same Old Q: Im buying a new MD, which one?

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same Old Q: I'm buying a new MD, which one?

Okay, here's the age old question: Which is best or better for me?
I know, I've seen some earlier threads asking the same question but I'm hoping that I can beak this down a bit so that everyone knows what I'm looking for. My price range is about $350-$450 or so.

These look interesting to me:
Fisher 1236-x2
Fisher ID Excel
Garrett GTAx 550
White's Classic 5-ID Pro

I know that these are all good machines and I would not be disapointed with any of their performances I'm sure. I definately want depth, but keep in mind that I'm not hauling around a shovel and pik ax with me ::). I'm quite happy with a depth of 12 inches.
I strive for the coins but I'm always interested in the jewelry and relics too.

Currently, I'm using a Bounty 101 that has served me very well for 3 yrs but need more than just a single frequency and a basic turn on and go deal.
I'm hoping to hear back from the members who do use these brands and hearing their words of wisdom, it'll help me out a great deal. Anyone else that may have good sound advise is more than welcome too of course, I'll take as much teaching here as you can give me.

I'm looking to purchase within the next couple of weeks... just in time to put it up for the winter! ::)
Can't wait for Spring 2006!

Thanks to all in advance for your help and advice!

Chris

Attachments

• Fisher 1236-X2.jpg
    Fisher 1236-X2.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 447
  • Fisher ID Excel.jpg
    Fisher ID Excel.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 461
  • GTAx550.jpg
    GTAx550.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 445
  • White\'s Classic 5 ID.jpg
    White\'s Classic 5 ID.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: Same Old Q: I'm buying a new MD, which one?

i have heard good things about the fisher id excell but i dont have any personal expieriance with one. good luck choosing one! it can be hard!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SAME OLD ANSWER ;

? To same old Question.

You'v Done the right thing asking, & laying out what you want.

Besides the answers you get in this thread, look around (Especially Todays Finds) and see what the users of these machines are posting. (take into account where, their finding them)
? DON'T Buy till Your Convinced You made the right Choice.
? You Don't want to spend the First 6 Months to a year Wondering ...
? ? ?" Did I make the Right Choice, Or Should I have Gotten the ............. Instead"

===========================
a P.S. to Everyone who Reads this Thread.
? IF You have & use one of the Detectors Chris Mentioned,
PLEASE go to Our METAL DETECTOR REVIEWS By Owners : http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?board=208.0
Section & Add a Review.? IF everyone Here Gave a Personal Review.
GOOD and/or Bad Don't matter , just that it's honestly your opinion,
And Length Don't Matter Either, One Paragraph Or 50.
WE DON'T WANT DEALER Or Biased Magazine Reviewers Opinions.
And UNLIKE the Magazine Reviews You Can Compair It with Other Brands you Used,
Without Worring The Manufacturer Is gonna Cut you Off, from Reviewing Future Detectors? :D
It May Help the members Decide the AGE OLD QUESTION Posed above? 8)

THANKS in Advance.

? ? ? ? ? ? ?JEFF

== > My Apologies to Chris For STRAYING, I'm Hopeing This will Help you Also <==
?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

My advice is to resist the temptation and DO NOT BUY anything at this time.
As you commented winter is almost here. Wait and see what new technology will be introduced before next spring. Who knows what will be released in the next 6 months. For example, gary from gary's detectors in the UK has been field testing a new detector from a major manufacturer which has not been released yet and has incredible iron rejection(He wouldn't tell me the name of the manufacturer).

As you have quite a list of detectors to choose from, have patience and do some detector homework this winter
George

Cfm

Jan 15, 2005

DigginItUp

I don't think you would go wrong with any of those detectors but if the Classic ID5 is anything like the IDX-PRO I would go with that one... IDX_Pro a great detector, silent search and finds stuff deep and works well on the beach.

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000

Looking at the layout you showed I would swing the Garret. The best advice is by far to test all of them together and get the one you feel the best about. Read the "EXPERIENCE" post by Lonewolf in the Metal Detecting Section, a great thing to take into account, test garden and weather affected hunting ground scenarios.

Good Luck!

HH

JW

OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You guys are doing great! Keep them coming, I'm still reading! Thsi is all good stuff your giving me, I really appreaciate everyone's input.

Chris

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

White's IDX Pro. Not the Classic 5 ID Pro. They are similar but not the same. Like Vito said, More coils available for IDX Pro.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are looking at two basic tyes of machines. One is the Fisher which has no fancy screen with all the icons and you will have to learn to interpret the sounds in your head rather than using the visual aids. The others all have the screen and icons and probably will be less sensitive to different sounds targets make or at least they will divert your attention and you will be making decisions by visual cues more than auditory. I use one with the icons and screen and when I get a target signal it cues me to look at the screen. I am in a club that is almost exclusively Fisher users. I have noticed that the best hunters at club hunts and contests are using the detectors without the icons and screen. They are very fast and get most of the goodies before I get started good. Why? The best I can tell it is because the absense of a screen and icons eliminates a time consuming step in identifying the target. That step is obviously taking time for the eyes to confirm what the ears have told you. I have never seen anyone approach buying a detector from this angle but I have often wondered how important it was in making a final selection. Monty

Chester Copper Pot

Apr 16, 2005
WI
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro

The Whites is a good turn and go detector. I have the IDX -pro with the 950 coil. It has been very productive from old coins to relics. I started with 6 yards that were active as early as 1900 to 1920's. I came away with a little silver and gold also a wedge and a hammer. It is just a bit out of your price range. I say wait the winter save the $$ then go with the Whites.

uberlapis

Aug 8, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use the classic IDX you can read my review if you didn't already it is fairly long but i feel very informative.
Also like they said about the classic 5 ID if that is true about only the 9.5 and the 8 i wouldn't get it, thats my oppion. I also have part of my review regarding the blackmax 5.3 coil. This is what I'd recommend over the 8 inch, the 9.5 will be there either way and that is what you will use most and that is a very awesome coil. and the higher frequency I'd shy away from that if your looking for coins the 6.55KHz will be better than the other higher one will be better for smaller stuff that is also more shallow. lower gos deeper and I know from experience the 6.55 nails coins pretty darn well!

HH hope this helps
Uber

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe

Hi, thats a pretty short list to choose from!!!! ;D There are many detectors in this price range and many styles. Check out www.metaldetectorreviews.net before making a decision. I myself have been researching a new machine for me and I think i'll try a Tesoro Cibola next. They seem to have superior depth and great in trashy areas, but have no target ID meter. Good luck with your choice.
HH
Greg

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005

Try the Garrett 250. It's a little more hi-tech than the 550 and a lot cheaper. Garrett took the technology found in very expensive machines and crammed it all into the 250 that you can pick up for $200. All of us oldtimers who own a slew of high-priced machines ( I own eight ) now swing this little puppy as our favorite. I'm now testing the new 12-inch coil made for it and it does go deep and is very sensitive to small objects - like rings.

Bill(OR)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a ID Excel and it has a ton of bang for the buck! Great for trashy sites.

T

tallpaul

i use a terra x 50 a new machine from minelab, you want go wrong with this one, great inland and outstanding at the beach dry or wet, but hey like others have said why not wait a little and take your time,, see if you can test drive a few, ive been there we all have,, from first to many machines, and its what you like and what you settle with ie are you happy with the depth the machine gives and the extras ie discrim and sense, volume control, ground balance, noise cancell, and so on,, take your time theres no rush,.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Of the machines you listed, I would go with either of the Fishers. They are well made and lots of coils are available. These machines are hip mountable where the White's is not. Also the Fishers have a life warranty, neither Garrett or White's offer that and it could cost you a couple pretty wheaties to get fixed if something happens or you just plain drop it.

Have you looked at the Tesoro detectors? These are deep machines, light weight too and with that life time warranty.

HH,
Sandman

T

tallpaul

gregl01 you might want to get the trident 1 if its the cibola your after the trident 1 is the new cibola, with better discrim, the trident 2 is the better version of the vaquero, the trident 2 being better a friend of mine has one and he does ok with it,, pretty good depth on the old hammerds.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You said 12" is an OK depth.....that's a darn fine depth!? Many of the top of the line detectors have to strain to get that depth! I rarely dig anything over 6" deep with the ground as hard as it is right now in my area.? ?As sure as I say that someone will find a cache at 13"!? Also, due to the cone shaped signal the coil puts out, anything over that depth is extremely hard for me to pinpoint accurately.? Just an afterthought.? Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread