Technology Rolls On - Do we EVEN want a detector that is 100% accurate?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
The new high tech machine recently released got me to thinking about this:

Suppose "X" brand detector comes out with a 100% fool proof ultra deep seeking machine that blows away the metal detecting world. It is so advanced that after indicating the targets you want, you sweep the coil and the word "DIG" or "SKIP" is displayed. That's it. And it's darn near 100% accurate.

Wouldn't the fun be gone? Isn't the idea that one gathers skills and tricks over months or years of listening to their machine? I, for one, would be very concerned by an advancement such as this. The only reason I find anything these days is because someone else missed it since our current machines are flawed. Do we really want a PERFECT machine?

What do you all think?

Ian

Upvote 0

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Sure!

I'm all for the perfect machine.

After I get it, I'll invite y'all for umbrella drinks... in Bora Bora... on me!

A 'perfect' LDL would be even better! ;D

Best
rmptr

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I think it would take the fun out of it to say "dig" or "skip".. I wish the detectors manufacturer's would make a machine that would give you a 3 dimensional image of your target. That would be great.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Ron,

Sure would save a lot of time to see a 3d high def image of the object.
I will decide whether to dig or not.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. Part of the fun for me is wondering what caused the beep. In the same vein, just how deep do you want to dig? I'm glad I'm not digging 18 - 20 inches for coins or bottle caps.
HH
Bill

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've gotta agree. Tha anticipation and surprise is part of the fun. Even when I'm mostly sure I've hit trash I still dig and have found rings and unexpected keepers because of it.

Not much to worry about, though. There are millions of small objects and no detector could be calibrated to give a 100% accurate reading for all of them.

Attachments

• HPIM0166s.jpg
    HPIM0166s.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 507
  • HPIM0166s.jpg
    HPIM0166s.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 504

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I settled for the perfect woman, got perfect kids. Even got a perfect cat. Dang if I could get a perfect car and a perfect MD I'd be set.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a machine that would have to be direct wired to someone's brain. Not everyone would want just coins, gold nuggets and bullets. Some of us LIKE finding iron crap. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't want a machine to second guess what I am looking for.

But a 3D holocast image...now that would be awesome.

Al

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron, are you a Troll? :tard:

Ian, I don't believe I would want a perfect machine. Then the Art that is detecting would be reduced to a binary code. Dig/Skip. 0 or 1.

:-\

And all my years with a machine would count for naught--because some 14 year old punk could go buy one and be just as good as I am the first time out with his machine.

-Buckles

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The perfect machine will locate, ID, dig and clean the item.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buckles, you don't have to worry about it, there are just too many variables for there to ever be a perfect detector. Personally, I would settle for a machine that could reliably (like 95% accuracy) identify and avoid nails without losing depth because of discrimination. And, a machine that threw off its detecting field in a such a way as to eliminate masking (for the most part). I'm convinced that due to masking there are still a lot of valuable unrecovered targets out there. No, I wouldn't want a perfect machine that tells me to dig or not. For me, the fun is all about discovery and its even more fun if you know it was your skill that let you get there.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BamaBill said:
Buckles, you don't have to worry about it, there are just too many variables for there to ever be a perfect detector. Personally, I would settle for a machine that could reliably (like 95% accuracy) identify and avoid nails without losing depth because of discrimination. And, a machine that threw off its detecting field in a such a way as to eliminate masking (for the most part). I'm convinced that due to masking there are still a lot of valuable unrecovered targets out there. No, I wouldn't want a perfect machine that tells me to dig or not. For me, the fun is all about discovery and its even more fun if you know it was your skill that let you get there.

Well said. :thumbsup:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather have a coil with a device in the center that would dig the target, separate it from the plug, drop it in a container, replace the plug and play a recording that says "NICE FIND BUDDY!" when the process is complete :D :D :D :D

K

Kentucky Kache

boogeyman said:
I'd rather have a coil with a device in the center that would dig the target, separate it from the plug, drop it in a container, replace the plug and play a recording that says "NICE FIND BUDDY!" when the process is complete :D :D :D :D

Then you wouldn't need Treasurenet. :wink:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache Crazy said:
boogeyman said:

Then you wouldn't need Treasurenet. :wink:

NOT NEED TNet?!?!?! What the heck am I gonna do while drinking my first three cups of :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: in the morning???? Not need TNet :icon_scratch: Jeeze....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread