Probes..... just a dumb question....

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
No, this is not another probe opinion post. I have read lots of those lately. My question is why do the manufacturers (most of them) make their probes out of BLACK plastic? Would it not be a better idea to make them out of bright yellow or orange so you can find it if you dropped it without realizing it. Black just blends in too well in high grass and weeds.

I know not ALL the probes are black but most of them are. Even if the materials had to be black due to manufacturing process or chemical make up it would stand to reason that some kind of bright decal or band of some type would make it more visible if it was lost.

Just on observation. What say you?

Ray S

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. I've put bright, plastic coiled key lanyards on my pinpointers that clip to my belt because I've managed to lose several. Bright colored tools are always easier to spot.
HH
Bill

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i kinda thought the same thing when i bought mine,but then i figured that the simple black may be the cheapest to manufacture. all those bright colors may make a difference in their ability to sell to us at a reasonable price.... im just guessing on that in a feeble attempt to defend the makers. i could be way off and maybe some egg head up top that has NEVER "misplaced" a probe in high grass or at night much less ever gotten out there with the grunts and actually hunted with the very products they sale has never really given that idea a second thought. i guess without customer feedback they may never know...... but i find that hard to believe though. they gotta know it should at the very least a consideration.that simple feature might increase sales,who knows.
But now to my personal solution the this issue. I went to a local sporting goods store, walked into the bike dept. and grabbed a packet of 3M reflective tape. 27 inches for about $3.00. It is made with a fabric material so it is tough and the adhesive is strong and water proof. i tested that feature on my fishing rod tips. several dunks and it remained strong.it can be cut real easy and molded around the pin pointer ends really easy. But its got to be 3M, ive tried many other brands just to save a few pennies nothing comes close to 3M. I hope this info. helps :thumbsup:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not too worried about losing my pinpointer - I have a metal detector after all. :D

No idea why they seem to favor black, but sure enough they seem to. Ninja/stealth detecting after dark?

Most likely black is cheap & easy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions