Technology?

A

artur

Hello All,

This is a different type of post then I think most members of the forum are used to, but I'd like to get some opinions as to how you feel about the limits of technology. As I was browsing the local Circuit City here in Tennessee, I noticed in the computer isle that the technology gap between the low end models, and the high end models was virtually non-existent. If we go a few years back, most of us can remember the rate at which new and faster computer models were available, and they were leaps and bouds ahead of the model we bought just a few weeks back. When I refer to technology, I mean the core processing power. Today I noticed that there isn't much more computing power available than with the computer I purchased a year ago, and the prices have dropped. The price differences today, in my opinion, are based more on accessories and fancier monitors than anything else. Does this signal that technology development has slowed down, are we restricted by the laws of physics, or are the manufacturers simply holding out on new developments. I think the first two are more true than the last statement. The question is does this apply to metal detector technology? Are the manufacturers squeezing the last bit of detecting power out of their machines? What do you think? I'm not an expert on federal regulations, and I havent' seen the famous Part 15 FCC label on unlicensed electronics on any of my detectors, but I'm fairly certain that metal detectors fall within Part 15 FCC which restrict power output. How does this hinder metal detectors? Should we license TH'ers much like amateur radio operations, and take advantage of less restrictions?

I'd like to hear you input and opinions?
Art in Fort Campbell, KY
Home of the Screaming Eagles

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hi Arthur
My take on all of this is that? there is limited demand for MD hobby technology.? We(us older guys) all saw the revolution? in technology and drop in price in hand held computers and now Pdas. However, there was incredible demand in the public sector for these compared to hobby? MDs. So the R&D in our hobby is not going to be on the same level and we are not going to see price drops in high end machines.

The other issue is that we are near the end of the road with regards to VLF technology.? When I first started detecting 40 years ago it was BFO then TR and now VLF. Future VLF models are not going to offer significant advances in technology as we are near the limit of what we can do with this level of technology. I feel that we always will have VLFs to satisfy the low end of the market-not everybody wants to spend $1000 on a detector. However, the high end market is another story. Well what is going to replace high end VLF technology?

The answer of course is PI or pulse induction technology. P Is have been with us a long time (beach? and nugget hunting) but of course the lack of discrimination has excluded them from most of the coin/relic markets. A lot of R&D today both with individuals as well as with companies is with developing a true,reliable discriminating P I. Besides having an incredible depth advantage over VLFs, discriminating P Is will have superior metal ID capabilites over a VLF.

Metal detector technology in the future is going to be very interesting.
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread