Ace 250 target ID question

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
I've had an ace 250 all summer and it's been working perfectly at identifying coins while still in the ground, of course there is always the occasional bad reading...

Over the past couple weeks I've been getting dime hits that almost always turn out to be pennies. I would guess that the last 20 dime readings dug out as pennies at least 15 times.

I'm hunting the same parks I always have so I wouldn't think the ground mineralization had changed around on me. I dig all of my coin targets anyway, but anyone with any ideas as to what may have happened here? I ended up switching out the batteries that weren't even dead yet with a fresh set, that didn't help either.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this?

Dudes

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
dude, I don't have the 250 but am wondering if the pennies you found were dated before 1982? If so the copper cents will register slightly higher than the zinc ones. Maybe even closer to the dime range. ???

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
same thing happens with my ACE250 -- I found that a penny that reads as a dime bounces around a lot more from penny to dime -- A dime will be more solid. Same with nickel and pull tab.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hey , Stoney is correct on this one. Pre 82 copper pennies ring up in dime range. Zinc post82 pennies ring up a notch or two lower on the scale. Keep diggin'
HH
greg

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Don't know if it will help,but right now Garrett is doing a 'no cost' update on the pinpointing circuitry which stabilizes it more.They won't say,but I have heard that this tweaking will enhance the complete operability of the unit.You only have to send in the control box (2 screws).Takes about a week. I sent mine in to them today.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
same thing happens to me sometimes dudes. i guess its just one of the quirks the ace has. i guess all machines have them.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gabbit said:
same thing happens with my ACE250 -- I found that a penny that reads as a dime bounces around a lot more from penny to dime -- A dime will be more solid.? Same with nickel and pull tab.?

"Exactly"!

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Older pennies hit higher on the scale. If I get a weak dime tone that bounces around from penny to dime. It's a pre 82 penny with the ace.

On my DFX new pennys are like 55 to 65 pre 1982's VDI at 65ish to 75ish. A clad dime being a 78.

OP
OP
dudes2112

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
I hadn't thought about the older penny idea, that seems like it could be the issue. The weird thing about it is that up until recently I hardly ever had that problem. The other thing is I usually give it about 6 or 7 swings to id and the dime reading is rock solid on most of these pennies I'm digging. I will keep track of the age of the pennies though, that could definitely be the problem.

Warsaw,

Thanks for that tip, that is awesome news! Pinpointing has always been a bit of a challenge with having to hit the button 6 times before it decides to work. I had heard a bunch of comments on here about that exact issue and figured it was just something I was going to have to live with. Still an excellent machine though.

Thanks everyone!!

Dudes

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
dudes,just a piece of info i got when i sent for a garrett catalog..........about the pinpointing thing........garrett says that the main reason for pinpointing problems (nulling out) with the ace is minerilized soil. it has to do with the fact that the ace has a set ground balance. not much we can do except for buy a detector with manual/auto ground balance. :'( one of the aces limitations.......i guess thats one of the ways they can offer it for so little $.

wingman

Mar 17, 2004
johnstown,ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
warsawdaddy said:
Don't know if it will help,but right now Garrett is doing a 'no cost' update on the pinpointing circuitry which stabilizes it more.They won't say,but I have heard that this tweaking will enhance the complete operability of the unit.You only have to send in the control box (2 screws).Takes about a week. I sent mine in to them today.

where did you hear about this?ive looked on garrett's site and cant find anything.
i'd love to send mine in to be redone at no cost.
thanks man
wing

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I found out about the upgrade from the Garrett forum on:
www.thetreasuredepot.com
I called Mary at Garrett and she said since I had bought in early spring,I should send mine in(only the control box,2 screws).Newer ones do not need it,however,they did not have the serial #'s so you don't know how long the dealer may have had it before you bought.Mine went into UPS this past Mon.You probably should call Mary at 1-800-527-4011.Hope this helps.

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Holy cow! Great info, especially since I went out with my Ace 250 last night and found 2 pennies, both of which rang in as dimes!! One was a 1999, the other was a 2000. You guys just answered one of my many "questions of the universe"!

Many thanks and HH, ya'll!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread