bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Re: new to detecting

Hi Jimg
I don't live in southeast Ohio but I used to. I went to Ohio University in Athens about 35 years ago. Southeastern Ohio is where I first started detecting 40 years ago. The Logan County fairground was a silver mine at the time. I eventually did a lot of church hunting as any topo map of the area was loaded with marked churches(or schools). I? feel these would still be productive as these were first hit with? BFOs which had? limited depth.

With regards to coinage these church and school sites produced a lot of IHs? to early mercurys? but barber coinage was not that common and seated coinage rare with my BFO. I? felt that my BFO (usually 6" max depth)lacked the depth to go after deep seated coinage which is possible with todays VLFs. My favorite area for old coins was near Marrietta which at the time had a good selection of old sites. On occasion I would get lucky and hit some old tavern sites there with very stable soil and find Large cents and seated coinage either exposed on the surface or a few inches deep. I hate to imagine what I missed at similar sites with unstable soil with deep coins.

When I made long road trips to the east at that time(actually living or detecting off the land) I found that coin quality increased detecting eastward. I eventually concluded the eastern states simply had a leg up on us living in the Midwest. Ohio simply can not be compared to the eastern states which were occupied earlier.
I never encountered any mineralization problems as most ground exhibited low mineralization.

I had a lot of fun detecting in SE Ohio and so will you.
LOL George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread