First time detecting off my property, first encounter with an a**hole

Tomas Frijole

Jan 6, 2009
west branch
Detector(s) used
ace
Went to former state forest camp ground on a choice trout river that closed about 20 years ago. Now it is open to wilderness camping and popular with sportsman. There were about 4 cars there and I parked my beater woods truck nearby and started detecting, finding nothing but trash which I was taking out with me.

After about a 1/2 hour a guy and his 4 kids trout fishing came up to their car (nice 80G Eco Toyota) and started packing up and I noticed every piece of equipment was labeled as coming from a top dollar sporting goods store, I assumed he owned or worked at the place. When I was at my truck and putting the broadheads, alum arrow shafts, cans, broken glass, lead sinkers and hooks I found in the truck the kids came over to see what I found. Ground fishing I said. Then the father came up and ragged on me for digging up his fishing site. He proceeded to go on how my truck was S**T and maybe I should have invested in a new vehicle and instead of my "expensive" Ace 150 to steal valuables relics from the state.

I asked him to get his kids out of hearing then I told him that I am a local, not a money grubbing flatlander from down state and dumped my bag of razor sharp and toxic trash on the ground in front of him and told him my family has a camp out here every spring for the kids and I am making sure no one goes to town for stitches like the 1st camp out we had. I also told him this is how I get most of my tackle so I don't have to go through life with his store logo tattooed on my a**.

After I got home I decided to do a little fishing behind my house on the same river where I have about 700 feet frontage. Guessed who was shore fishing on my property. They guy asked me if I was following him, told him no, just investigating my neighbor saying someone was tresspassing on my riverfront. I told him I would be glad to let his kids fish there and see what a real trout hot spot is like if they want to join me but he will have to stand midstream or I will have my nephew, the local DNR officer, arrest him for trespassing and make sure he does not see another fishing license for the next 5 years. He took his kids and left. I hope the little gas generator in his car burned up on his way home.

Upvote 0

ohiograndpa

May 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a funny/sad story..funny he would end up on your property after being a jerk..you got even sorta..but sad people like that guy in the world... Makes you wonder what his kids were thinking, or learning doesn't it..At least you were man enough to offer his kids a place for fishing.. I doubt he would have done the same for your kids.

OP
OP
T

Tomas Frijole

Jan 6, 2009
west branch
Detector(s) used
ace
I have always been open to anyone who asked to fish there and will point out the holes. I caught my first trout there when it was our cabin and most of my friends & kids have done the same.

1st encounter was about 10 miles upstream of my place. There is a public access 1/4 mile upstream they must of stopped at and waded downstream. His kids were cool from the start. I think they were more interested in my detector than fishing with dad.

We had two local brothers from about a mile upstream from the 1st encounter get life recently for killing two deer hunters and feeding them to their pigs, should have told dad that story, I'm sure when I putt around in my woods truck I look like one of them! Deer deer deer da deer deer deer!

SandFiddler

Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's BHID
How old was the Dad? Seems like each new generation becomes ruder and less civil than the previous one. Sadly, good manners and respect are long gone.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
people like him are takers. that's all they do is take. they never think about giving back and the real sad part is his kids will act the same if he doesn't change his attitude

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Hey Tomas, you did good. I'm afraid I would of ended up whipping his A$$, that is one of my downfalls. The guys was a "Pendejo" for acting that way in front of his kids, no vale madre el cabron......Good hunting to you. John

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a shame the first time out and you gotta meet one of "those kind". Aren't too many of them...but sometimes one is enough.
I think you'll find this a rarity. Only came close once to one of them...but he turned out okay after some chit-chat.

And something important I learned.....Don't wear a t-shirt with a Big Dog logo on the back that says.."If you don't like my attitude, dial 1-800-Bite-Me" People look at you funny and walk away. :icon_scratch:

Keep at it..
Al

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Money grubbing flatlander?!?
I resemble that remark.....

But I'll swing a coil with ya anyday. Sure hope the pack shows up this year, go Bears!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep those broadheads! I have a small collection of glue-on traditional heads (just over 100 different) from the 1930's to 1970's and a couple current ones and you'd be surprised what some of them sell for among collectors.

Like everything else, condition is important.

B

BIG61AL

Sound like the same people who leave their trash [aluminum cans and bottles included] half burned in a fire ring

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I think you sent a good message by showing some of the hazards we dig and dispose of and you also were able to get a little sweet revenge in the end and yet remaining a good guy torward the kids. Nice job!

panthr

Apr 7, 2009
instead of ragging on you like that he should be thanking you for cleaning up the area... just goes to show how much of a hypocrite he is... He thinks by buying an eco friendly vehicle he is being Mr. Green.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's a story with a happy ending!! Thanks for posting it. :thumbsup:

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
So the HOLE problem was that your disrimination knob was not set correctly turn it so the detector does not pick up a**holes. by the way what did ya find other than the richard head

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
T.F., Sounds like you had a liberal encouter. Sorry for your discomfort and looking forward to your recovery. ;D

B

BIG61AL

We will always have knuncleheads giving us crap. it's just part of the game. Blow off some steam and forget it. For every @$$hole there are five people who will point out old places for you to hunt or where someone lost a ring.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SandFiddler said:
How old was the Dad? Seems like each new generation becomes ruder and less civil than the previous one. Sadly, good manners and respect are long gone.

Agree most of the time. :thumbsup:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I think GrayCloud got it right.

The only time I ever had any real trouble with anybody they were a bunch of liberal, loonie, left-lobed tree-huggers that still think we are looking for chump change to buy a bottle of rot gut and a container of spud salad at the local get-and-go, along with a welfare Coke to wash the garbage down. Oh, and then of course there was the nun who thought I was "taking the children's money". What money, I had only found two pencil ends by the time she stopped to challenge me?

The truth is that many of my fellow countrymen are a bunch of room temperature IQ's who vote for and keep company with those who would have the government own us all and do away with our fun hobby here COMPLETELY! Once in awhile their true colors show, that's all. Then too, look at some of the ads on TV concerning the riches we bums and free-loaders find when using their brand of detectors that "tell you what it is while it's in the ground". No wonder people still think we are a bunch of out-of-work, shiftless, welfare recipients looking for beer money and enough change left over to buy a cheap pack of cigs.

LL

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Room temperature IQ. :thumbsup:

That was a good one Larry and I am in total agreement with your assessment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread