Canadian Forces Mine Detector

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
God bless 'em, they're doing great work too, but that's one gig I don't dig.

Read a bit ofthe UN specs on mine detecors around here somewhere also. Seems they were keen on some European model and the Minelab, w/o any discussion of US technology.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Nice post Drache. I have a few friends in the Can. Forces. One has done 2 tours already, one is currently deployed, and 2 more are going next rotation.

I read recently (its in the news somewhere) where some Canadian engineers with a trained dog went out after a suspected roadside IED. Turned out to be nothing. But on the hike back to base they stopped to rest in an enclosed compound. After checking the surrounding buildings they filed in and began to put their feet up to rest when the dog alerted them to something. Right there in the middle of the compound was a huge IED; right under their feet! Probably saved a lot of lives!

Go bomb dog!

OP
OP
Drache

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
I applied for the Canadian Forces last year but was told I had to wait a year due to suffering from epilepsy a year before (they wanted me to wait another year). I did well enough on my tests that they wanted me either for officer or as a member of EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) with the Combat engineers and that the simple Infantry position I applied for would be a waste. I figured they were just blowing smoke up my butt though.

Technically I was allowed to reapply on April 1st but at this moment I'm currently in the middle of the hiring process for the Canadian Border Service Agency. If I get bumped out of that then I will reapply for the Forces and do my part.

I actually got a call a couple months ago reminding me to reapply.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Rando said:
On a side note, the canadian forces hold the world record for the longets confirmed sniper kill. I'm not sure of the range, but it was done with a .50 cal, and beat GSGT hathcock's Vietnam confirmed kill I believe.

Master Corporal Rob Furlong made that shot in the Afghan mountains in support of US troops. 2,430 meters or 2,657 yds or 1.51 miles!
He's now a cop somewhere in Canada. Many nations send their snipers to CFB Gagetown, Canada for training. Mr. Furlong was among several Canadian snipers to be awarded the American Bronze Star for his actions.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
There just cant be much metal in those smaller land mines, 10 centimeters is just shy of 4". If the place has any amount of metal trash, cartridge casings, nails, it must be almost impossible to do mine-cleaning operations. Or does minelab have something up their sleeve?

OP
OP
Drache

Drache

Mar 20, 2009
Likely, BC Canada
gleaner1 said:
There just cant be much metal in those smaller land mines, 10 centimeters is just shy of 4". If the place has any amount of metal trash, cartridge casings, nails, it must be almost impossible to do mine-cleaning operations. Or does minelab have something up their sleeve?

Nails would be pretty rare over there as there isn't much wood to begin with. Shell casings could be a likely but even then, there isn't mounds of them everywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread