How many of you have been lucky enough to find a gold coin?

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
On TR very weak and eratic. On BFO a little better and solid. New ones with target ID don't know as I've never used one. exanimo, ss

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With My Sovereign, at (Approxametly 8", Been awhile My Mind ain't as Sharp As it once was)

? ? ? ? ? ?Directly in the middle of CAN TAB range.

? ? ? ? ? ? ?In Fact, I was Convinced it was a Deep Can tab.

AND so was My Hunting Partner. He walked Over it & Didn't Dig.

HIS EXACT WORDS :

"Ain't she a BEAUTY :-) I remember that day !!!!? ( The reading i passed up because the ground was tooooo hard and i thought it would be JUNK) "

I guess I should Mention. Was Found in Hard Clay, in a Ball Field / community Grounds.

Attachments

• GOLD79-S.jpg
    GOLD79-S.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 418
  • GOLD79-S.jpg
    GOLD79-S.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 422

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the one I found this past spring at an old home site down the street from me.

Found with a Garrett GTI 2500

Depth = 4 to 5 inches

soil = moist black dirt fairly to moderately compact

read nickel/gold on the ID meter but was strong, solid & repeatable in a mid-tone range

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 405
  • gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 401

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Yep! Some people get to LIVE THE DREAM of a gold coin find. I know of a few who have found more than one ( not in a cache) but LOCATION & RESEARCH is the key. A random find is like winning the lottery. I think in reality, probably more gold coins are found in a small cache than randomly.

Any data to back up that theory anyone?

Spotz

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lonewolfe,
I love that coin. I couldn't quit MDing if I had to.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a $2.50 Indianhead back in 1975. It was about 4" deep, in very dry soil, using a TR detector.
As I recall, it gave me a decent signal.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No luck yet. Out of about 60 members of my club 4 have found gold coins in about 25 years of club existance.

Location, Location, Location!

Ed

Raoul

May 5, 2004
Perth West Australia
Paul in my 20 years of detecting i have found 2, 1 full sovereign and 1 half sovereign the last one was only a month ago.
Though i could of found another 2 i was stupid and had my discriminator turned up to much and my mates who detected the same area that i had gone over found them :'( if you want to find gold coins make sure that your detector will pick up pull tabs as gold falls in that category.

Cheers Raoul ;)

Z

ZumbroKid

spotz said:
Yep! Some people get to LIVE THE DREAM of a gold coin find. I know of a few who have found more than one ( not in a cache) but LOCATION & RESEARCH is the key. A random find is like winning the lottery. I think in reality, probably more gold coins are found in a small cache than randomly.

Any data to back up that theory anyone?

Spotz
I read somewhere a single is rarer than finding a couple togather. Your right Spot.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still looking for the one I found while diving. I found this Double Eagle, worn but still good in a fresh water lake about twelve foot down and I placed it in my wet suit pocket only to find it missing when I got back on my boat. This was about fifteen years ago and it bugs me to this day.

HH,
Sandman

J

Just Lookin

Sandman, thats what I call having a bad day! Finding a Double Eagle, and then loosing it!

T

tallpaul

hi there,, heres my gold stater i found not long ago,, it registerd a 9 on my LCD, around 7 inch depth, and the signal sound was lower high if you understand that, but consistant, i had to dig and glad i did, he he ! found in ploughed soil farm-land at edge to some trees,.

Attachments

• gold stater.jpg
    gold stater.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 247
  • gold stater.jpg
    gold stater.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 242

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read a 5 year old article stating that approximately 1 in 100,000 coins in circulation back when were gold. It suggest places people gathered, lived around, in 1850 to 1900 would give you the best results. Also high on the list was civil war camp grounds as soldiers did not have a lot to spend there money on and the fact that they would sometimes bury there coins at camp to keep from loosing them in battle.

Ed

T

tallpaul

thats right they would not take there money into battle, if killed or captured they would be looted for it,, so they hid it hopeing to return and get it,. as we know many did not thats why there is alot in the ground, and more than what has been found still remains to be dug,. if we go back to when hoses were just sraw huts built with mud and a few rocks, there were no banks either,, when anything threatening came along it would be buried,, same again sometimes being forgotton, and it all sits there waiting for us to sweep over it with our trusted friends the tecter,.

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been luck enough to find 4. all individual finds, 2 in March and 2 in October, all found in plowed fields in England.
#1 Addedomarus tribe, 45 to 30 B.C.
rev
#2 Addedomarus tribe, 45 to 30 B.C.
rev
#3 Wadden chase tribe, 54 to 45 B.C.
rev
#4 Snettisham tribe, 54 to 45 B.C.
rev
I was using a whites MXT with a 10X14 DD coil, They all read between 35 and 42 in the vdi, tab/gold range. 2 to 5 " deep.
Thanks, HH. Chicago Ron

Attachments

• celticgold4 rev.jpg
    celticgold4 rev.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 162
  • celticgold4.jpg
    celticgold4.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 169
  • waddenchase rev.jpg
    waddenchase rev.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 167
  • waddenchase.jpg
    waddenchase.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 174
  • celticgold4 rev.jpg
    celticgold4 rev.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 172
  • celticgold4.jpg
    celticgold4.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 171
  • waddenchase rev.jpg
    waddenchase rev.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 174
  • waddenchase.jpg
    waddenchase.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 177
  • celtic2fdouble.jpg
    celtic2fdouble.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Ronscelticdouble.JPG
    Ronscelticdouble.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 169
T

tallpaul

hey chicago ron, how the heck do you get a good close pic like that my camera is a so called good one a fuji s3500, and i get a blur close up,, tell me the secret please,, make my posts better he he !

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't take any of them. I downloaded them from the guy in Englands website. He has a real good camera.
Here is a pic my camera of my first Celtic in it's final setting. 1/2 oz. of 14 K and the first nice diamond i found a 1/4 ct vs1.
HH, Chicago Ron

Attachments

• celtic 020.jpg
    celtic 020.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 177
  • celtic 030.jpg
    celtic 030.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 180
  • celtic 020.jpg
    celtic 020.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 175
  • celtic 030.jpg