jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out hitting the county park yesterday,had to replace the batts in my MXT.A half hour or so later i get a loud noise in my headphones and everything goes dead.I bypassed my DX-1 probe and unplugged my headphones but still nothing.I pulled out the batt, tray and one of the batts had exploded!I installed some new batts,and everything is working fine.Does anyone know if this could damage my metal detector?THANKS for LOOKING.

Upvote 0
B

BIG61AL

never heard of that before unless they get thrown in a fire maybe.....got any pictures?

aupro

Dec 29, 2008
Astoria, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Sounds like a defective battery. If everything is working fine you dodged a bullet. Personally I would change
battery brands just on principle. Were there is one defect there might be another. Also if it happens with another
battery brand then I'd have the manufacturer look at the unit.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Batteries fail one of two ways: open circuit or closed circuit. If yours failed into an open circuit condition you're probably fine except for cleaning up the physical residue (A.S.A.P.!). If it failed into a closed circuit it could spike the voltage and fry components. If your detector is under waranty I would contact the mfg and ask about a check-over. It was no doubt the battery mfg's fault - might be wise to contact them also to register a complaint.

ray in ny

Jan 21, 2006
southern tier ny
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S CLASSIC III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have have occurrences in the past of certain batteries in electronic equipment such as cell phones or laptops exploding or catching on fire, because they were actually counterfeit--made in China or some such place and stamped with brand name when they were not. I don't know if it has happened with regular batteries, but I would not rule it out.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The batteries where brand new Energizers right from the pack.Am going to give whites a call and see if they also have any suggestions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread