I LOVE my new Garrett Pro-Pointer!

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I know that a lot has been said about this pinpointer already, but I was finally able to take my new Garrett Pro-Pointer out for a spin last night and it was awesome! The depth on it is decent (usually about 2" depending on the object in question). I've been using a form of pinpointer already that goes to 3" and at first I was slightly disappointed with the depth. But after digging out a couple of targets I quickly realized that my old pinpointer was causing me to do too much digging because I couldn't really tell how deep something was (only that it was less than 3"). The great thing about the Garrett is how well it locks in on the object as you get closer (beeps faster as you approach the target). In the past I would have dug a plug every single time. But now I can tell if the object is within 2" of the top and just pry it out. When the signal completely locks you know that you are touching the object directly. I found about 20 items last night and was able to pull about 8 of them out without digging at all. And there was one item down at 12" (some sort of brass nail) that I never would have found without the pinpointer. I was able to dig a small 4" diameter plug/hole and use the Garrett to scan the sides. I widened the bottom of the hole until I finally found the nail head sticking out. I was obviously disappointed to find a nail (it was reading like a silver coin and it was obviously very deep so I was really hyped up). But it was a case where I normally would have given up without the pinpointer so it really validated the purchase in my mind.

Finally, I bought mine from my local Hobbytown USA store. They gave me an excellent price on it ($125). It didn't come with the extra promotional kit that you see a lot of them on the Internet describing. But my understanding is that Kellyco and others have run out of that promotional unit and are just selling the pinpointer now. You can still get the promotional kit on eBay if you are so inclined. But I decided to give my local store the business.

If you are considering the Garrett Pro-pointer and are on the fence, just do it! You won't be disappointed.

PS - I didn't find any treasure at all last night. But I did run into a fellow treasure hunter. He came up and told me that he lived close to the park and has hunted it many times but never found anything other than clad. I was glad that he stopped by to chat because I had figured this spot to be much older than it turned out to be. He said that it had only been a park for about 30 years. It is a park next to an old fairgrounds and I had assumed that in the old days, families would have come and camped out there. But I don't think that is the case now. I'll still go back and give it a few more swings in some areas that I couldn't go to last night. But I'm probably going to look into some other areas now as well.

Upvote 0

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
I bought a new Garrett pro-pointer this spring what a helpfull little unit I wouldn't go out without it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I've heard others complain about the beep but I don't see that as being much of an issue. I personally prefer to use the beep instead of the vibration. If you simply put your thumb over the speaker holes while you are using it the sound is dampened significantly. But I can certainly understand why some people would prefer to be able to turn it off. Maybe the next version will have that ability.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions