So frustrated with my DFX

lakillian

Dec 29, 2006
Winfield, WV
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250
So, I am thinking about selling it and buying another machine. I am thinking about the F75 or the Minelab Explorer II but I noticed they don't sell the EXP II anymore. Any help would be really appreciated. I live in an old house well 1910 and I am not finding anything under 5" deep and most of the time it is around 3". I know there are settings on the DFX that will get it deeper but I am an idiot and cannot figure it out LOL.

Thanks@!

Upvote 0

sirlostalot

Jul 22, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from the DFX ( used it about two years) to the EX II and glad I did. My finds got alot better in a hurry. The DFX has alot of setting that will confuse most people me included. I think the EX II seperates the targets better. They dont make the EX II anymore but the SE is basicly the same machine.

If youre using the factory setting for the DFX youre not getting the best depth.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eathabs said:
plehbah said:
How is it going? Did you go dig the old coins yet?

look in the classified section for sale :( :(

I'll buy it ..how much you want ... ?
I got a couple of bags of quarters that I found...

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
The DFX isn't for evryone, I hope when she finally sells it, she finds another detector that is more for her and stays with the hobby. Sometimes all that fancy stuff can frustrate people and they end up finding another hobby. There are alot easier detectors for less money that will make it more fun for those of us that don't want to get to technical. :occasion14:

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
lakillian said:
I use the jewelry/coin mode. I made the adjustments that Torrero suggested and I went back out beside my house and pulled up a 1982 quarter and a penny not sure of the year. Also a junior police badge and an old metal wall socket and plate, plus a nail, foil and a piece of metal. So it did work for me but it is raining and I haven't been able to get over to the yard next to my house yet. Waiting for the rain to go away!!

There you have it ... you ignore signals and do not dig.
I am going to give you the dirty low down here.

It is a new machine to you and you need to spent the effort to learn the machine.
Use the preset program and dig everything for a while ... get all the signals you can find dug up ... then as you learn more and try new settings go back over those "cleaned out" areas and you will see if what you adjusted makes any difference.

The DFX is a deep seeker but it also not a "pick up and go" detector until you have learned the basics about it.
It is a high quality tool that allows you to tune it to your style of hunting and the current ground condition.
You will need to spend time learning how to do that and the best way is to get out and use it!
The people that know the most about the DFX did not get that way by reading about how to do it.

If you are not willing to invest the time into learning the DFX then you need to sell it and buy a "no brain required" "beep and dig" detector like the Tesoro Vaquero.
High tech detectors are not for everybody and some just will never "get it".

Now that might seem a bit harsh but it is reality.
The sooner you either learn to use the DFX or trade it for a detector more suited to your style of hunting, the happier you will be and the sooner you will start finding the good stuff you know is around there.

I see you also have a Prizm V and Ace 250 ... how are you doing with those detectors?

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a minelab safari and have been finding more without having to adjust any settings. Even my own front yard which has been hunted at least 15 times is producing more coins. I still have the DFX and compare the 2 and even with amped up settings the DFX wont see what the minelab does.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
plehbah said:
I am sick of deep silver!
Me too. ::)

OK...
I will trade you all of your deep silver for all of my nice shinny new shallow zinc pennies....

OK ?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Ah, gosh Willie, you are just bashing us dummies all over this site. Hopefully we can become as smart as you some day and get away from our dummy machines. Gosh, I wonder what it would be like to be smart? :tard: We should all be like Willie. :headbang: :laughing3: :laughing11: :laughing9:

dfxer

Mar 8, 2008
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
dfx, xlt
Every house built before 1964 has good potential for finding weaties, and silver. As with any machine walking slow and covering the ground by overlapping swings as close as you can tolerate is the best thing to do. I went from an xlt to a dfx and in the factory coin mode found a SLQ at over six inches. That may not be very deep for alot of you good and experienced detectorists but for factory settings its not bad at all. Adjusting the pre amp and ac sens does help just listen for stability as you up these settings.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I've hunted a few 100 yr old houses without finding any old coins, don't give up on it, just keep plugging away!! You can find Explorer 2's for sell and at a decent price too, if thats what you want. I have heard that F-75 is a deep seeker as well!! I sure wish you lots of success and just try different places, different directions and research your place and find out where all the activity was 75 years ago!! Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread