sensitivity question

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
I just read something while checking out buying a new detector that I want to get. While reading about it, it said "the higher you set your sencitivy, although it doesnt go as deep it will pick up smaller objects closer to the surface" . Does this mean if I turn my sensitivity all the way down on my Whites prism II it will go deeper but miss smaller objects closer to the surface? I have been running my sensitivity all the way up and relic hunting for CW bullets or other CW objects. To get deeper should I turn it down? Although I feel I have been finding good quality and rare bullets would I find more by turning it down? Thanks for any help.....HH.....Bill

Attachments

• pic 10.jpg
    pic 10.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Well, I've always run the sens. at the upper ranges just below ground chatter so as to catch the fainter sounds of deeper targets, but it does seem to enhance the shallower targets as well. In a civil war site where there's not much slaw or other such society junk, I would want to catch even the shallower targets-thus an all metal high sens could be the answer.
The only true answer is keep trying different settings and learn what your machine is trying to tell you.

T

tallpaul

run in all metal mode soon as you get a signal, flip the switch,, and check it,, then do a 90 degree turn on it,, this works,, if runing in a discrim motion mode,, turn your sens down to around 8-9 this dosent lose depth, and you'll here all your machine is capable off,,

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
Bill, what article were you reading. Something sounds out of context. I can't imagine that turning the sensitivity down would help unless you were picking up to many iffy targets or turning it up would reduce depth.

It is my opinion that most (Whites) detectors sensitivity settings change how much gain the VLF (very low freq) (I.E. 6.8 khz) is given. For instance in a range of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest a setting of 1 puts out a low gain signal that has to be reflected back. A setting of 10 allows said target to make a better reflection of the signal back to the coil which is processed to produce the beep. Older whites detectors (higher end) had a signal balance control that amplifies that signal that gets bounced back. On the newer models this is called the pre amp gain. So, in my opinion turning either of the controls up will not reduce depth, it can only make it easier for the instrument to detect deeper signals. This is for the AC mode during normal search. IMHO.

Hope this makes sense, Tim.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! How'd I miss this one?! :D

Great stuff Bill!

Nana ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mostly Garrett detectors and if you run the sensitivity up too high the chatter covers up some targets and causes others to overlap each other. So, it depends on a lot of factors including the type of detector you are using, the particular coil in use and the amount of shallow trash in the area. The Garrett manual says that sensitivity equals depth. But I have found that to be true mostly with the larger coils. Depending on how the machine is set up it could be completely different with a Fisher, White's or Minelab. Monty

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
Wow! How'd I miss this one?!? :D

? ? ? ? Great stuff Bill!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Nana? ;)
Guess it was just a shot in the dark. Before long, Nana your gonna be the resident bullet expert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread