Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not being Deaf Myself I Can only Guess,
But you would definately want a Meter

You may also want to try Earplug Headphones.

Even though you can't Hear You may be able to
Feel a Vibration change.

I Met a man at a Competition Hunt in 99
He was deaf , used Headphones & A Minelab Excalibur
& Made plenty of finds.

(The Excalibur Does Not have a Meter
It's an Underwater Detector

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doverton said:
Quick and to the point!

I am deaf. Can I effectively use a metal detector (since I can't use headphones)?

Any particular one better than others for use without headphones?

Much thanks!

In my years of hunting I have seen a light that is plugged into the headphone jack and when you go over a target
the light flashes on and off...
I don't know where you can get one, maybe Kellylico.. ?

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here you go...this is what might do the trick (if you don't use a Minelab or Fisher)...

http://www.treasureproducts.com/vibraphone.html

The Vibra-Phone 280 lets you replace sound with Vibration.

Don't like wearing headphones?
Difficult to hear tones and whistles?
Need to hear ambient sounds?
Then the Vibra-Phone 280 is for you!

The Vibra-Phone 280 takes the tone that you would normally hear in your detectors headphones and converts it into vibrations. It works with most common metal detectors with a 1/4” headphone jack. No modifications or special tools are needed.

Just simply clip the Vibra-Phone 280 to your metal detector and plug it into the headphone jack in place of your normal headphones. Turn the Vibra-Phone 280 on and you’re ready to go!! Made in the USA.

Note:
Vibra-Phone works with most all common detector models except Minelab and Fisher.

Beep

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You definately want a detector with a good visual target ID, I'd recommend digital rather than analog (dial needle). The Minelab X-Terra series, Fisher F-75 and Teknetics T-2 all have large displays that are easy to view while hunting. Whites DFX and XLT have a relatively large readout, could be larger if they'd drop the little coin/ring icons , but the M-6 and MXT start to get into a small number with a target block above a small scale (I think harder to read. . . but the scale is there too so you should get used to it). I prefer a conductivity number without the machine guessing. That's my job.

The terget light mentioned earlier is the way to go. Not only does it alert you, but it will silence the speaker and keep your neighbors from getting nosy. ;-)

Some ideas:

http://www.easytreasure.co.uk/hoh.htm

http://www.rochesterdeafclub.com/download.php?id=38

OP
OP
D

doverton

May 12, 2009
Thanks for all this good info. The vibration solution really sounds good. I'll check that out, although it is a bit pricey. Wonder if it vibrates at different frequencies to help in discrimination? I'll find out.

Thanks again.

Zofchak

Mar 11, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Excaliburs, Sovereign GT and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to look into the "Firefly". I've seen them used on Garrett ACE 250's. They have different colored LED lights for different targets, much better than straining to watch the small LCD screen.

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
You might have a look at the "bonephone" which is used with Aquapulse detectors made by Aquascan. Its like a headphone placed on the bone next to your ear. You would "feel" the sound.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doverton said:
Quick and to the point!
I am deaf. Can I effectively use a metal detector (since I can't use headphones)?
Any particular one better than others for use without headphones?
Much thanks!
Hello, I would imagine that it depends on your type of deafness. When I was in the serviceI worked in the US Army in hospitals in Frankfurt and Walter Reed for a number of years, testing and fitting our soldiers from WWII with many different types of hearing aids. No one back in WWII had good ear protection against the noise when firing artillery and in tanks and such. We fitted not only audio hearing aids but also the vibrating type. But there are types of hearing losses I thought that nothing will help. Its been almost 50 years since my work there so I guess the technology has improved also. I would ask your doctor first I guess.

I know of one person here in Holland who is also deaf and has searched for many years. I have heard he detects with a light. Funny is that everyone who knows him says that he finds more and better stuff than the rest. I myself think that comes from moving slow, and from digging EVERY object. So it is possible! Success!

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done
doverton,

Treasure products makes an aplication for your detector that uses vibrations and not sound, I think it's called vibratector ? try that. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions