Why Own So Many Machines

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having recently bought my 2nd detector in 25 yrs I can't help but be puzzled by all the people who own numerous machines. I used my old 1265X for so long Iknew what every sound it made meant. I now have new F70 and after 2 months I am amazed by what it can do but I haven't even begun to fully comprehend its possibilities. I hope to use this detector for decades and I can't wait to master it. How can anyone who owns multiple new machines even hope to learn what their detector can do? The learning curve is so steep on the new machines that by switching back and forth between your detectors aren't you at a disadvantage? My goal is to cover ground once and not leave anything good behind. Sure thats not 100% possible but when someone knows his machine inside and out he can come darn close. It seems to me that the more machines a person has the more money he spends and the less he finds on any given site because he misses some of the "tough" signals that experience tells you to dig. To illustrate my argument I just met a fellow who has 3 newer machines. 2 Minelabs and a bounty hunter. Thats some serious cash he's thrown at the hobby and his argument was that he needed the BH for those quick hunts that are just for fun. One Minelab was his go to machine and the other one for his "serious" hunts. My argument is he should master one machine and he will do better all the time.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How can anyone who owns multiple new machines even hope to learn what their detector can do?
I'd only buy a new when I am at least fairly familiar with the old one.

The learning curve is so steep on the new machines that by switching back and forth between your detectors aren't you at a disadvantage?

No, different machines are good at different things, I buy to compliment my other.
For example I have a DFX & Explorer II, the Explorer is way better for relic hunting while the DFX is better for park/beach and generally modern sites.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree.

Folks go through machines like chewing gum sometimes.

I have two--and I have mastered them both. The Fisher 1266 I have used for 17 years.

-Buckles

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm kinda a one machine guy...just haven't had the heart to part with my older friends.

I had bought a DFX a couple years ago...used it for a year and sold it. Went back to using my 6000Di Pro. Knew it, loved it...will never part with it.
Now I bought a Vision. Same general learning curve as the DFX so it's comming a whole lot easier. Hoping it will be the "all purpose" machine I want. For my type of hunting...it should be all I need.

I can see others with different machines, one for water, one for other stuff...each machine with it's own idiosyncrisies... but I've only bought newer, more advanced models that disc better and go deeper. Again...for MY kind of hunting.

Al

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I started with the MXT, mastered that , it is a great machine. I decided to get the ACE 250 for my kids to use. I started using it after seeing all the loot they score with it. Then I added a bounty hunter to the arsenal that I got so cheep at a yard sale I could not pass it up. Somewhere along the way I met this guy at a park( while using my MXT ) and he took me out nugget shooting. I was hooked before we had lunch on the claim. I decided to get a better MD for nugget shooting /relic hunting ,so I added the TDI to the arsenal. One thing led to another and I've picked some other prospecting equipment as well. IN the next year I plan on adding 2 more metal detectors ,one for parks and another one for nugget shooting.

Why so many machines?

1 Someone always wants to go.

2 I use Different metal detectors for different hunting.

3 And last but not least for me This Is A Hobby That Got Out Of Hand HH Extractor

OP
OP
L

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do understand the need for specialized machines for certain applications. Water hunting needs an underwater detector. Nugget hunting needs a gold machine. Having used the 1265X for so many years I am not certain a person needs separate machines for relic hunting and coin shooting. I did great at both and consistently beat friends who kept separate detectors. I really don't see the need to run some of the detector programs that are coin or jewelry specific. It all comes down to how much a person wants to dig. Gold coins, nickels, bullets, buckles and jewelry all fall in the aluminum range. No detector can tell you with any degree of certainty whether items in that range are good or not. It all comes down to knowing your machine inside and out. If a person uses multiple machines I think they find less because they have to rely more on the detectors ID program than on the innate ability they have developed with their machine.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
limegoldconvertible68 said:
I do understand the need for specialized machines for certain applications. Water hunting needs an underwater detector. Nugget hunting needs a gold machine. Having used the 1265X for so many years I am not certain a person needs separate machines for relic hunting and coin shooting. I did great at both and consistently beat friends who kept separate detectors. I really don't see the need to run some of the detector programs that are coin or jewelry specific. It all comes down to how much a person wants to dig. Gold coins, nickels, bullets, buckles and jewelry all fall in the aluminum range. No detector can tell you with any degree of certainty whether items in that range are good or not. It all comes down to knowing your machine inside and out. If a person uses multiple machines I think they find less because they have to rely more on the detectors ID program than on the innate ability they have developed with their machine.

Well said. :thumbsup:

It's funny--I bought my uMax as a back-up machine for my aging 1266, but it has been quite useful when other folks or a property owner want to go along. I do realize that each machine has its strengths and weaknesses. If an iron patch is Very thick, I will use the Tesoro because I know it very well now, and it will run stable in thick iron. It will also pick up very tiny items with ease. The Fisher will give me feedback (through the nail chatter) about whether I have found my site or not, and the amount of chatter helps to adjust my sweep speed for maximum target separation. But each has its weaknesses. With the Tesoro it is depth; with the Fisher it is overwhelming iron.

But I did spend a lot of time out by myself with the uMax in order to learn it.

Now I wouldn't trade either for anything in the world. (But I will never own a third machine! It took 16 years for me to decide to buy the second one. :) )

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really don't see the need to run some of the detector programs that are coin or jewelry specific. It all comes down to how much a person wants to dig. Gold coins, nickels, bullets, buckles and jewelry all fall in the aluminum range. No detector can tell you with any degree of certainty whether items in that range are good or not. It all comes down to knowing your machine inside and out. If a person uses multiple machines I think they find less because they have to rely more on the detectors ID program than on the innate ability they have developed with their machine.

I disagree, to a point.
First and fore most you will want to find a machine that fits you, you should like it.

And me figures you never had a DFX in thick iron, it's hell.
The explorer handles iron better and as a personal preference I like the ferrous sounds, low tone for iron high for none ferrous stuff. I just dig all highs.Very stable, to.

The DFX on the other hand is chattering like bloody hell! All signals will get a broken tone, hard to tell if it's good or not. It is simply not capable of handling thick iron. That is it's weak point.
But at the park it is better for i.e. jewelry because of the high frequency (15kHz)
Here the Explorer looses performance.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Having recently bought my 2nd detector in 25 yrs I can't help but be puzzled by all the people who own numerous machines.
I own several screwdrivers. Each one is used for a different screw type. I own straight blade large, small, really small. I own lots of phillips head screwdrivers. I own lots of other tools too. Each one is for a different thing I want to do.

I can walk and chew gum. I can multi task. I can learn several machines and use them well. So I do. They are just tools.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I have two vehicles and one I use for going out to the hills and the other for city use.

I have a detector for prospecting and it's good for treasure also. But I will end up with a detector for treasure hunting that is also good for nugget shooting.

It's like having two televisions in the house. One for the miss's to watch and I'm not watching her girly flick...I believe the point is well covered.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After re-reading this thread, I have come to the conclusion that the Detector Manufacturers HATE guys like me. 

But y'all should keep "upgrading"--because we need to keep them in business!  :thumbsup:

randyalbin

Sep 24, 2007
Flat Rock, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's 5900 CB,XL Pro,IDX Pro,MX5,Tesoro's Bandido,INCA,OutLaw,Tiger Shark,Toltec ll,Toltec 100,Troy Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, guys
I only have 11 machines, and looking for more................I'm an addict?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two. I keep the Minelab as a loaner and as a spare in case the Fisher goes down. Each has it's good points. I can see where a gold prospector machine, a beach machine, relic machine and a coin shooter would each have special enough niches to be filled with purpose designed and built detectors.

I think some folks enjoy the shopping and buying as much as the detecting and the romance wears off fast. I've seen the same with some folks regarding cameras, firearms, automobiles and spouses.

And then thare's the advertising that convinces us last month's machine is outdated and has decrepit technology.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Well I don't own a bunch now, but I did go through a phase... Partially it's curiosity and keeping up with what's out there. Finding a machine that really speaks your language, is comfortable to swing, and produces the kind of results you like.

I was using Fisher CZs for years and the CZ5 was my main machine until stolen (still miss it), then I got the CZ3D, but I also tried the CZ70. I got to a point where I was hitting the same old sites and they just were not producing much anymore, so I started trying different machines. I actually ended up trading a few of those other machines for the Minelab Explorer and that was more like what I was looking for. I was making better finds at my same old spots. I now have an E-Trac and it works very much like the Explorer but I like the display better, and it makes hunting more enjoyable for me.

Just in thinking about it, if you're a tot-lot and clad hunter, it probably doesn't make much difference in what you swing. Those spots are constantly replenished with new stuff. I'm looking for old coins and relics and those are not replenished and what's there is increasingly hard to find. Finding a machine that has the ability to find what I'm looking for is important. That said, I totally agree that learning your machine and experience is important. I've spent a lot of hours on the Explorer and E-Trac making great finds all the while.

Some people are about the gear, some are about the hunt. I know I guy who has a great shop full of high end woodworking tools, vacuum system and everything. Puts Norm from This Old House to shame. He rarely uses any of it, in fact I can't think of a single thing he's made. Just the usual household repairs and such that a handsaw and a drill could do. But he's always reading the woodworking magazines and looking at new equipment and tools and adding to his collection. For him the hobby is collecting the gear, not using it. So, it's no surprise there are people who "collect" detectors and love reading the forums and treasure mags.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Guilty ...

Hi ... I am bill ... and I am a Detectorholic.

I guess I am a good example of the person you are talking about.
Having used metal detectors since the early 70's I have bought and sold my share.
Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro, Troy, Barracuda, White's and one old Metrotec 220 (my first "real" detector) are the brands I have owned and used.
Dont know why but the only Garret's I ever had was an ACE 250.
Never have used a Bounty Hunter.

Just started back into the Hobby after a few years retreat.
Beach and water hunting are my favorites followed by schools and parks. No interest in relics.
Always preferred the Minelab BBS (Sovereign) and FBS (Explorer) tone ID type detectors since they came out.
The new White's Spectrum V3 got my attention and I bought a slightly used one a few weeks ago.
I have in the past owned a White's Coinmaster 4, XLT, MXT, DFX, Prizm III.
This new Spectrum V3 is by far the most advanced metal detecting machine they have ever made.
I hear that its circuits are based Minelab's research and technology and it uses tone ID so I guess that is why I am liking it so much. (lots of bells and whistles to play with)
Still, I would like to try an E-Track but just dont want to fork out the bucks to try one this year.
For the water hunting I am locked into the Excalibur II (just bought a new one) thinking that it is the best choice.
I guess my thinking is that one or two good beach or water finds will pay for either of these new detectors.
By the end of this sumer they should be more than payed for.
So why not go for top of the line?

Also (within the last 4 weeks) acquired a Sovereign XS-2a with some extra coils, a Fisher CoinStrike, a Fisher 1270, a Troy X2, and a Viper underwater machine.
These are mainly "loaners" to my friends and visiting relatives who want to go beach and water hunting with me.
Fortunately, the scoops I have acquired over the years were too much of a pain to sell and ship so I had kept those in the tool shed.

So you see, I am just the kind of guy you are talking about that owns more than two detectors and doubt I am done buying and/or trading them around yet.

William Lee
Corpus Christi, Texas.

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
I have 3:

Tejon for me.

Tigershark for water cuz I believe the tejon wouldn't work very well if it gets wet.

An Ace 250 for my kid.

All bought or traded for................used.
Good thread, interesting reading............see ya yardhunter

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
plehbah said:
steve from ohio said:
Having recently bought my 2nd detector in 25 yrs I can't help but be puzzled by all the people who own numerous machines.
I own several screwdrivers. Each one is used for a different screw type. I own straight blade large, small, really small. I own lots of phillips head screwdrivers. I own lots of other tools too. Each one is for a different thing I want to do.

I can walk and chew gum. I can multi task. I can learn several machines and use them well. So I do. They are just tools.
We have noticed your good work, steve from ohio.

We are keeping a close eye on you here in the Mother Ship, steve from ohio.
Thanks for keeping an eye out for me. Eye need to be watched because Eye have strange Eye deas. Eye don't know why, but Eye do.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy said:
After re-reading this thread, I have come to the conclusion that the Detector Manufacturers HATE guys like me.

But y'all should keep "upgrading"--because we need to keep them in business! :thumbsup:

Lol...true...guilty.

But Eu_citzin is right about the DFX in iron. Think that's partly why I dumped it and went back to my 6000Di Pro. But...it's wearing me out. Probably could convert it to hip mount...just would'nt seem like the same machine. getting old sukks...arthritis.

Vision seems to handle the iron better but I need more time out with it. Detecing time has been severly limited by my need to have a real income...

I'm doing my part to keep Americans working... :thumbsup:

Al

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's simple, I use a different detector depending on what I am hunting. I have:

one for small nuggets
one for large nuggets
one for Civil War relic hunting
one for Rev War relic hunting
one for ghost town relic hunting
one for fresh water hunting
one for salt water hunting
one for brackish water hunting
one for soccer fields
one for baseball fields
one for hunting log houses
one for hunting wood-frame houses
one for hunting 2-bedroom houses
one for hunting 3-bedroom houses

Well, you get the picture... you can never have too many detectors!

- Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread