Cartridges,Coins,Nuggets and Junk

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been living and detecting in Baja Norte, Mexico for the past year. This photo is a two day take from about a 2000 square foot area, the coins are all Mexican silver except one and all 1870s t0 1880s dates, the one USA coin is a 1898 dime in very good condition, there are a couple of small gold nuggets in the picture , an old lock with an 1873 patent date out of the picture, a lot of the large caliber cartridges have been crimped for use as shot shells. Got to go back this fall when the grass is down to finish the area!
P.S. There is a Chinese coin also.

Upvote 0

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds! What picture?

OP
OP
Desertdigger

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, new to this software, picture is now correct but I will try to replace it with a better one..

X

X5er

WTG!! What make of Machine do you use? Ive offten thought of Mexico. Cool finds 8)

OP
OP
Desertdigger

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X5er, I use the Tesoro Lobo Super Trac, I have been primarily in hunting gold for the past few years and have tried all the nugget machines and the Lobo is the one that does it for me, it works for the coins, relics and is light weight, when you are 69 years old with the old ART, swinging a MineLab gets to be more work than its worth, beside the Lobo will pickup pieces of gold so small I can not see them so I just bag those targets and pan them out later, there are more little pickers of gold than there are nuggets! I am back in to coin shooting now although a nugget or two is nice.

OP
OP
Desertdigger

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jarman, The text that should have been with it is: The largest piece weighs just a tad under 1/4 OZ, the dime is a 1916S, it all came with many Mexican coins from under the dirt layers of an old adobe house in Baja, you have to remove the remmants of the walls to get to the productive level, the floors got a new layer of clay ever so often. Many of the coins are badly tarnished or corroded,I Think from the pollution of being under foot in a dirt floor house, 1 nice 8 Reale was eaten away at the date. Strangely Chinese coins are not affected at all! Any body have a ideal why?

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Desertdigger,Have found a few chianise coins myself and they are to in good shape given the ground conditions.It may be because of a high comp,of brass.Not sure.But i bet Buckram or BRD could shed some light on it for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread