Can you help me find gold!

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
I've been detecting for about 3 years. I currently swing a whites dfx 300. It has a bit of a learning curve to it. I feel pretty confident about my coin detecting skills but I can't seem to "hear" gold. I use the tone id and vdi to figure a good coin target but gold signals seem like trash or unstable signals. I've been invited to hit a beach and was looking for some pointers on recognizing gold signals. Tips from those with dfx's would be great, but all are welcome. Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
unfortunately, there is no one "tone" for gold. Aluminum and gold share the same conductivity for starters, and secondly, gold jewelry comes in infinate shapes and sizes. Ie.: rings of different sizes and karots, bracelets, earings, charms, necklaces, amulets, etc.... If anyone tells you they can tell the difference between aluminum and gold, quickly take them out to the nearest blighted inner city urban park, and see how long their claims last :o

If you're getting lots of aluminum junk, and no gold where you're hunting, then you're simply hunting a place where the ratios "aren't worth it". You need to find better hunt sites, where jewelry is more present. Typically swimming beaches are best, because cool waters shrink fingers, people lather up with slippery suntan lotion, people put their valuables on their blanket (or hidden in their shoe, etc...) for "safekeeping", etc..... Next would be things like sand volleyball courts, etc....

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only advice I can offer you for the beach is this: The digging is easy. You must dig it all to find the gold. And I mean foil and tab signals.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seamuss said:
The more time and ground that you cover will improve your chances of finding the good stuff like gold.

But you also have to be smart about What ground you cover. And you must decide what kind of finds you'd like to make. While it's true that the more you hunt the better your odds will be at making great finds, not all ground is created equal. Spending 30 minutes swinging in the middle of a giant cornfield in the midwest without rhyme, reason, or prior knowledge of anything ever being there, and you'll most likely come back empty-handed.

So it's not about covering ground--it's about covering The Best ground. :wink:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
BuckleBoy said:
Seamuss said:
The more time and ground that you cover will improve your chances of finding the good stuff like gold.

But you also have to be smart about What ground you cover. And you must decide what kind of finds you'd like to make. While it's true that the more you hunt the better your odds will be at making great finds, not all ground is created equal. Spending 30 minutes swinging in the middle of a giant cornfield in the midwest without rhyme, reason, or prior knowledge of anything ever being there, and you'll most likely come back empty-handed.

So it's not about covering ground--it's about covering The Best ground. :wink:

Best Wishes,

Buckles
I'm not from the Midwest. I don't hunt gold in corn field either. I am a prospector and I go places where gold has been found before, increasing my chances of finding gold. If I want your corn then I would go to corn fields of the midwest.

About being smart about what ground I cover, I envite you to a prospecting outing and see a pro at work. Or you can envite me to pick golden corn with you.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rule number ONE when looking for gold, or coins for that matter, is GO WHERE PEOPLE GATHER. Along the first base line... the top of the beach just before it slopes down to the water.... around the grass near the connessions window.... the grass just above the river.... the first quarter of the slope at a sledding hill... The OLD coins are under the big old oak trees in the church yard. Scenic views, etc, etc.... Lots and lots of books have been written on the subject but nothing beats experience and TIME at site. TTC

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To find gold rings you must dig all signals. Foil & pull tabs as rings will register like these. So at the beach it is easy digging so no probably there. So just head to the beach and dig everything and good luck....Matt

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mlayers said:
To find gold rings you must dig all signals. Foil & pull tabs as rings will register like these. So at the beach it is easy digging so no probably there. So just head to the beach and dig everything and good luck....Matt

Well said

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I previously mentioned covering a lot of ground referring to prospecting. Now I reallize that your looking for coins and jewelry.

My mistake. Around here, we have beaches parks and small towns with old farms and buldings that have been torn down. Some times these are good places to find gold.

Old carnival sites can be rewarding sometimes.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
je177 said:
I've been detecting for about 3 years. I currently swing a whites dfx 300. It has a bit of a learning curve to it. I feel pretty confident about my coin detecting skills but I can't seem to "hear" gold. I use the tone id and vdi to figure a good coin target but gold signals seem like trash or unstable signals. I've been invited to hit a beach and was looking for some pointers on recognizing gold signals. Tips from those with dfx's would be great, but all are welcome. Thanks!!

Here is the best advice you will ever get for hunting a beach.

Learn to use your recovery tool well.
Set your discriminator on "0" and recover anything that beeps the detector.
("But Willee ... I paid hundreds of dollars for that discriminator" ... hey ... you just learned something valuable)
Never show your finds to anyone at the beach.
Never let a stranger use your detector at the beach.

Simple isnt it.
Now go find some gold!

Willee

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As Willee & Tom in CA said.
You might even want to go down to -10, some report to find really tiny gold that far down.
Iron is usually even further down, however if it isn't in your area skip it.

Also you can use settings to help you:

15 kHz raw (NOT multi freq, 15 kHz hit's hardest on gold) If your IN the water you'll have to use multi freq.
Auto trac offset: +1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread