New to forum. Hello all

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Well I have been looking for a relaxing hobby for some time now. Started with Kayak fishing which was fun on the fishing side but not such fun on the dealing with inexperienced irresponsible boaters side. Gave it up before I got ran over though. Then golf. Not relaxing at all. Almost gave myself a coronary trying hit that stupid thing straight.

Was searching the INTERNET for some alternatives to spend my free time and ran across this forum. Read through several post and purchased a low end detector to start off with. I live in Florida and have quite literally hundreds of miles of beach, some of it quite upscale right in my area to start off with. Rich intoxicated people dropping there valuables on the beach while on vacation is my thinking.

Like I said I purchased a low end Radio Shack detector for now (Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100) but if I catch the bug I will have some money come the first of the year to purchase something decent and hand down the toy detector to the nice and nephew.

Seems like a great group here and when/if the time comes to buy a higher end detector I am sure I will have a million questions so be prepared.

Upvote 0

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
8) Welcome Murf, Im sure the bug will catch you.And when it does you are at the right place lot's of good and helpful people on this forum.HH-Jarman

scotty

Oct 12, 2003
central missouri
Hello Murphy,
Welcome to a fascinating hobby. I been at it for too many years to mention. Started back when a metal detector was first introduced to the public. I don't want to knock any brand of detector, but you said a high end detector later on caught my attention. My thought was, Why walk the same ground over and over again, why not get a good detector to start with and not waste any time with a low end or so-so detector. Also wondered where you were trying to fish in your Yak, that you almost got run over. Yaks are for stream fishing, not lakes. I play golf also, just started about 3 years ago. I enjoy it, as long as I don't feel like I should be able to play as good as the guys on tv.I do find that i improve some each time I go. Metal detecting is a little like golf. It takes a while, and lots of trips to get good at it, and don't expect to get rich at it. The new detectors sure helps shorten the learning period, due to better circuitry and better discrimination and filters. Its still going to take some digging to get trust in what the detector is telling you on each signal, so don't give up too easy, give it a good chance. HH Scotty

OP
OP
M

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Well just got back from my first outing and my first finds were tennis can lids bottle caps and some old solder wire down at the park around the corner from where I live. Didn't get to spend but 45 minutes before it starting raining so here I am back in front of the PC.

My yak fishing was in the shallows along the inter-coastal water way in and around Sarasota FL. This area is pretty much the boating capitol of the US and between the rental boaters that shouldn't be out there to begin with and the professional guides who seem to have it in for the Kayakers it just got to be to much hassle to deal with. Every trip I was witness to accidents and near misses and all out shouting matches between various boaters. Just got tired of it but do miss having fresh fish in the frig.

I still do some golfing but my slice pretty much prohibits me from ever getting of the tee so the trips to the course are becoming few and far between.

With those two hobbies going by the way side I opted for a low end detector before dumping a bunch of money into something else. Like I said if I catch the bug Christmas tips and cash gifts at the end of the year will provide the bucks for a higher end rig. I figure that gives me six months to do my research before deciding on the detector that will suite my needs which more than likely will consist of mostly working the beach along siesta key and long boat key here in FL.

X

X5er

Hey welcome murph, that bug has a way of bite n ya right in the behind LOL! before ya know it "your a gonner" and love n it too. my brother lives in venice and ive tried to get him into detecting but he says hes to busy, i say BAH! he did find a sharks tooth the size of a softball big n nasty that one was. hey murph the first spanish coin or big gold ring you find youll be "HOOKED" but good.....enjoy :D

OP
OP
M

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Thanks for the warm welcome guys/gals. Yep Tony Irish as they get. Even went to the Irish Catholic schools up north. Maybe the luck of the Irish will be with me in my new endeavor.

Rained stooped and I got back out to the park before dark and discovered my first couple of coins and what looks to be a fairly new ring of the costume jewelry type but I have no way of telling for sure. I think I may be "hooked" already. Cant wait to get work out of the way tomorrow and hit the local beaches, weather permitting.

MrSovereign

Jun 27, 2004
Sound man, my names Kev though :D lol, juss took Tony Montana from Scarface (fave film). I think I must be the only detectorist in Dublin!

elkboy

Jan 29, 2004
Muncie, IND
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Spectrum
Your in a good place to detect. Just think all those college kids coming for spring break and leaving plenty to find. I started allot like you did I bought a whites classic II to start. within 3 months I found a diamond ring . I was not just hooked but drug on the boat and put in the live well. From that ring and all the clad coins I found I sold the Classic II and I upgraded to a white XLT. With a lower end detector you may not be able to discriminate out the nails, aluminum foil and other things so try not to get to discouraged or disinterested. good luck and welcome HH Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions