Want to detect in Michigan over Thanksgiving week - will the weather cooperate?

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Visiting my in-laws in Pinckney, Michigan over the week of Thanksgiving, and I'm dying to try out my Minelab Explorer II in all around their mid 1800's farm house. I've been all over the ground many times with my old model Whites Eagle Spectrum, but want to see if what they say about the Spectrum II is really true - that it will find stuff that others leave behind.

I've pulled many wheaties, a merc, an 1837 Canadian Half Penny, and lots of cool odds and ends from this property over the years. My father in law dug a small garden way out back behind the house near the barn, and a standing liberty quarter rolled out of the soil he was turning over with his shovel.

I've been frustrated by the lack of additional silver coins in this yard and around the barns. I know they must be there.

Anyway, it looks like the temps are going to be in the mid 40's that week of Thanksgiving. I live in California now, and I'm concerned that it will be too cold to detect (the temp may drop into freezing temps over night). Do any of you detect right up until snow falls?

Jim

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jim!

You live in Cal and you're looking forward to hunting Michigan? Hummm.

You should look up some of the Spanish trails and do some of those plowed fields way back in the boondocks. You know, the ones that require a 4-wheeler to reach. I know guys who are making a killing in those areas on cobs.

Will Michigan be nice for Thanksgiving? Now that's a tuff one. We have 6 months of snow and 6 months of poor skying. Okay--so you heard that one? :D

I hope you kill em with the Explorer.

Zeb

Z

ZumbroKid

You should not have a problem, my first year detecting i could hunt into the middle of december.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan, even though it's my home state, I don't care about the weather there. I got tired of chipping Wheaties out of the frozen ground and now play in the sand on the beaches in Florida. Though I hope the weather holds up for you and you don't get snow to cover your coil. Winters there have been milder in recent years and I hope it holds up for you. But egads, there's babes on the beaches yet...... ;D

HH,
Sandman

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I am originally from Michigan, and I travel back often. I actually lived in Pinckney for a few years on Pettysville Rd. You should be Ok weatherwise, I mean it may be cold, but the ground won't be very frozen yet, if at all. Pinckney is a pretty old town, you might want to try the little park in the middle of town. If your up for the 15 minuet drive to Brighton, there are lots of little parks & old schools around there. I can tell you where there is an old (buildings are gone) Boy Scout summer camp that dates back to the 20's if your interested.

Paul

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
hope you brought the shovel to dig the snow my son is up there with his girlfriend at his grandparents in southen mich and they were getting quite a bit of snow, hope you have nice thanksgiivng anyways
hh
dave+bobbie

Z

ZumbroKid

Yesterday it was digable. But conditions have changed overnight here. Sharp shovel is a must!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread