Are newer machines the key to older coins ?

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.. I have been detectin since the mid 80s,and have wanted a new detector since the mid 90s,but have always
put it on the backburner due to various reasons. My first machine which I still use some is a INCA,followed by a
Golden Sabre II in 93 I think LOL..

My ? is are the newer machines with Target ID and all the bells and whistles really worth it ? I mean I have
found 1880 coins on top of ground and memorial cents at 6 inches so why all the depth issues?

The deepest old coin I have dug was a Barber Half at almost 7 inches other than that its 4-6 for the most part.
Maybe I am missing alot huh..

Soil condition probably has some to do with machines and depths,but no 2 machines are really the same
anyhow.

I am thinking a Tejon mainly because of reviews and the dual disc. followed by depth capabilities. Plus I
really wouldnt think of changin brands.I dont think Tesoro is topped by anyone.

So lets hear some responses.First hand accounts from people that have newer machines,and input
from THers like me who have used old school machines forever LOL

Upvote 0

bigolhorns

Nov 12, 2006
Forest Grove,Oregon
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 11" and 9.5 " Elliptical
Garrett AT Gold
Teknetics Gold Bug
White's "Mr. Bill modified" Classic IDX
Teknetics Eurotek Pro 8" coil
Teknetics Eurotek Pro 11" coil
XP MI6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mpostma said:
Maybe we should start a new thread called " Which type of detectors find the most Minnie balls"?

In the 20 years I have been detecting. I have found a total of 3 Minnie balls here in Oregon. All 3 were found (at different locations) in the last three months. They were all 3 found with the Minelab Safari I bought 3 months ago. Hmmmmmmmm, True story!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
artzstuff1 said:
Ya or how about I know it all just ask me thread!!!
yeah we ought to ask YOU, because YOU act like YOU know it all

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just courious, Any beep and dig users think you could go to a heavily hunting park and find as many or OLD COINS as a Explorer, Etrac or Sprctra. I know I could'nt. I do own both.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread