limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need Some Help From the Civil War Pro's

I have been reading a diary from someone who joined the Union Army in 1862. All the historical accounts of his regiment say they traveled to Cairo by train. In his dairy he mentions that he was camped on a river with two companies for two weeks before they boarded barges that took them to Cairo to muster in with the rest of the regiment. His account gives me three clues as to where they camped. I have never hunted any site that was even remotely connected to the CW. Is this site worth my time. Are two companies enough men to provide decent finds. If so what can I hope to find here and how will I know if I am at the right location. I really don't know much about the muster process. Would these men have been in uniform at this point? Would any pay have been issued? I know a couple of the best detectorist in this area and none of them have any idea about the existence of this site. I am started to get excited! Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: Need Some Help From the Civil War Pro's

Your research may prove fruitful...

Basically, the muster area is the assembly area, prior to boarding their trains they would have camped, trained, inspected gear, lost gear, gambled, drank, gambled some more... it was all about preparations for departure. There may have been equipment issued, ammunition, and the like. They would have been in uniform... yes.

The area may have been used once by local troops who were picked up there or many many times over the years as a more permanent staging area.

Either way, I'd be excited too, and yes, there is every chance you'll find lost items. Although they may not be "war related" they would easily be attributed to "CW era militaria", and that's pretty cool too.

Good luck!

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550

I agree with Montana Jim,
Just because somebody isn't aware of that spot doesn't mean it isn't there.They just might not have
read anything about it.I would give that area a good going over.You never know what you might find.
It might be the hottest spot you will ever find.The worst thing that could happen is that you waste a
couple of days MD'ing.The young men done a lot of crazy things right before going off to war.It might
pay off big for you.Keep us posted about your find and good luck. :thumbsup:

fortbball9

Excavateur

Mar 21, 2009
MO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

If you go to the Davis Rumsey map site do a search for Cairo there is a nice map on troop positions titled "Hall, E.S., New York Herald The Seat of War in the West. 1861 Newspaper"
http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/RUMSEY~8~1
It may not be exact but it can confirm your other research.
Good luck!
Keep us posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread