interesting road names

Pitch

Jul 27, 2003
I was looking at an old map of the area my family is from and found a couple of interesting road names. The first one is the Stage road which is still existing and the second road that appears on a 1903 map but not on the 1955 map was called Robbers Roost. Robbers Roost terminates on the Stage road and runs up into some extremely rugged and desolate hills and hollows. Looks like I am going to have to viisit my 93 yr old great uncle and see if he knows any stories or rumors about the place and name. According to the 1903 map there were several building on Robbers Roost . Maybe worth a weekend trip.

Upvote 0
X

X5er

is that the same robbers roost near the pacific crest trail and chester? if so my dads side is from that area? 8)

OP
OP
P

Pitch

Jul 27, 2003
No this is in the southern tier of NY. I talked to my father today and the story he told was that in the period of approx 1830 to the civil war an occaisonal itinerant peddlar would come up missing in that area. He said that he only knows of one that is documented when a broken up wagon and a few bones were plowed up by a farmer just after the turn of the century.

X

X5er

oh, ha :D theres a robbers roost in california on a stage route between chico and chester. that sounds cool, definatly check that one out and keep us posted 8) HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread