best first detector for five year old

R

river city

hello, is radio shack the only supplier for small detectors for kids?my son is only 5 and he will be going on hunts with me alot.im sure he wont mind digging up a tin can at 12" or a pull tab at3",as long as he is finding stuff he will be fine.he is 4 foot tall so he is pretty tall for a five year old.do any of the big manufactures make a high grade (youth model) for youngsters?just thouht i would throw it out to the board to see what was out there. thanks,mark

Upvote 0

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
My five year old uses my garrett GTAx550 with me all the time... he is a big boy and has a little trouble handling it with the battery pack still on... the other option is Whites came out with the Prizm series, I gave my parents a Prizm II, only 2.5 pounds, might be great for a young kid!!! Hope this helps!

HH
Chiz
8)

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one work - Kellyco! If they don't have it - nobody does!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Took this old BH, got it quite a few years ago, cut the stem down, put the armrest and handgrip on thew other side and it fit our youngest kid perfectly. Old story but she got her first silver ring within two minutes of using it the first time back on the beach in Chicago some years back. Did she care about looking at the knobs or meter? Nope, just went to work when it beeped.

Might want to buy one of those low end Tesoro's or equivalent machine used and chop it up a little to help facilitate the kid's size and swing. I also made a cordura chest harness w/sling she used with this as she was very tiny when she started out. While there are a lot of great entry level machines out there, you still have to find one that will be useful to the little guy. If it's too long, he will not swing it for very long and there goes the enthusiasm.

Good luck and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread