Going to Charleston SC, need help (not asking where to look)

teddyrobo

May 25, 2009
Northeast Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I've always wanted to do some beachcombing and metal detecting and I've been planning on buying a nice intro level machine but this trip has come up before I've aquired a suitable detector. I was wondering are there places that ever rent out machines for people to use while on vacation? Also, is this a waste of time considering I would have no experience with the machine and who knows how well it would even work? Is this worth doing anyway if it's my only optioin? Thank you :)

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mosts of the Charleston area is not open to detecting I don't think. Lot of old forts on the coast, etc. I've been through there a couple of times but don't live near so I can't help much. Monty

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teddyrobo said:
Thanks for the help Mr. Burns ;) I was just hoping to do a little bit of detecting on the beach (if legal, of course!)

I used to live in Charleston years ago, You can hunt on any of the beaches, although there are no
beaches in Charleston per se..... Folly Island beaches and the Isle of Palms are the two
places that have fairly good beachs.

There have been many Civil War items taken from Folly Beach over the years...
But I have not been there in maybe 5-6 years...

If you've got no experiance, then renting a machine might be a waste of your money...
Or you could use it to practice learning....
But not sure if there is a place that "Rents" them...
Best of luck

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
It is certainly possible to rent a detector. The place to start is at the manufacturers website- Whites, Garrett, Tesoro, etc -they all have a dealer locator function that will allow you to find the closest dealer to Charleston or your residence area. Contact the dealer and ask if they rent or know someone who does. If that fails try a search engine or Yellow Pages type directories.
Don't worry about your lack of experience. You will want to rent a "turn on and go" machine like the Garrett Ace, Tesoro Silver Umax, or the Whites Prizm 3. These are simple to operate. You can find the owner's manuals online, if you feel the need. After an hour or two of practice on the beach, you'll have the initial hang of it.
These simple detectors are actually excellent for the beach, since you are looking for recently dropped coins and jewelry, which are shallow. However they are strictly dry sand only-no saltwater or even wet sand.
You will need something to dig with, preferably a dry sand scoop. Most dealers also sell these. You can make do with a garden trowel. You will also need some sort of pouch for your finds. A carpenters apron will suffice or you can buy a detecting pouch or fanny pack style pouch. Please dispose of the trash you dig up and fill your holes.
Post your finds here when you get back. Good luck :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread