Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Re: Ok...I can't believe I purchased this pinpointer...Sob

Go with the pro pointer that way you do not have to untangle that cord on the sunray one all the time. Had one and it was always caught on something.

Jason

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D

Sunray probes are fabulous. I have vowed I will not buy a new machine unless there is a Sunray probe for it. :headbang:

However, there is a cost benefit analysis to be done adding a $170 accessory to a $250 detector...
From a strictly economic point of view, I'd upgrade the machine before investing in a Sunray for an Ace.

I have heard good reviews of the Garrett pinpointer and the Detector Pro Pistol Probe. I have owned the Vibraprobe and was not impressed - it was bulky and not sensitive enough.

Sell the BH pinpointer on another forum and see if you can get some of your money back. :laughing7:

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine

You can't beat the Garrett Pro Pointer. No cords, strong,works well and priced reasonably.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I vote for the Garrett Pro Pointer also the best i have seen or used so far...

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vondrewvious said:
You can't beat the Garrett Pro Pointer. No cords, strong,works well and priced reasonably.

Garrett pro pointer is what get's my vote . It's cut my recovery time by 80%.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whats the problem your having with it? I like mine so much I have 2.. How many pinpointers can you push into the soil...

OP
OP
SteveOnTheHunt

SteveOnTheHunt

Jun 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ACE 250, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess it may be me getting frustrated. I try to pinpoint with the ACE 150, and I dig where I think the object is, that hold keeps getting wider and larger...LOL Maybe I need to get used to the coil. I don't know. Still new to this.

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine

Bull59 said:
Once you get a signal keep swinging in smaller and smaller distances until you have your coil almost directly over the target with it ringing on each swing. Then slowly back your coil up until you stop getting a signal. If you stop immediately you'll find the target directly under the front edge of the coil.
This method works for a DD coil. I'm guessing your ace has a concentric.

OP
OP
SteveOnTheHunt

SteveOnTheHunt

Jun 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ACE 250, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks... for the helpful info. I guess practice makes perfect.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

SteveOnTheHunt said:
I guess it may be me getting frustrated. I try to pinpoint with the ACE 150, and I dig where I think the object is, that hold keeps getting wider and larger...LOL Maybe I need to get used to the coil. I don't know. Still new to this.

I cant beliee you put that probe on an ACE 150.
So now your next detector is limited to something that probe will fit onto.
However, The probe is not the big problem ... yet.
Place a coin (dime) on the ground and practice pin pointing it with the detector.
Your skill and experience level is the problem and you cant fix that with money.

You dont need a probe 90% of the time ... it is an accessory you can live without.
Buying one that is detector specific makes even less sense as you will either sell or trade off your Ace 150 by the end of this summer as you will either quickly outgrow it or give up the hobby altogether.

I hope you can find someone in your town that can help you learn how to use your detector.

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend

Got to say I agree with Willee. If you can't pinpoint to within an inch or two (at most), you don't need a pinpointer, you need to practice with your detector. :thumbsup:

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

SteveOnTheHunt said:

Sounds like my last 5 hunts. I read somebody's comment on the Ace 250 that said, in a nutshell:

"If I don't find the target after digging for a few seconds, I know it's gonna be junk".

Depending on your definition of junk, I have found the above to be true, assuming you have a pinpointer. I have a cheapie Harbor Freight pinpointer and I know it works. However, if the target is a bent nail 8" deep the Ace will find it but I might have to dig for eons before I can pinpoint it. But it's good exercise for your arms, and nourishes the mosquitoes.

bfid

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2009
TENN.
Detector(s) used
X70,SE

Cant go wrong with garrett pro-pointer,and it works with every detector. :thumbsup:

blacktoe

Greenie
Jul 3, 2007
S.E. Georgia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Fisher F4, Tek Omega

Just my opinion. You can't go wrong with the pro-pointer. It is the only pinpointer I know of that actually gets stronger the closer to the target you get. It just doesn't say there is a target there. It tells you where the target is by vibration and sound getting stronger. It can be detuned in the hole and tell you if the target is in the bottom or side.

It can also be supertuned to get more depth. I can get about 3" or better by supertuning it. To supertune I slide my ringfinger down the shaft to just about where the light is with the pinpointer in the air and when the pinpointer starts to sound off I back off till it just stops. Then pinpoint the target and you get more depth. This can also be done by sliding a coin under your finger down the shaft.

If over sensitive keep pinpointer in the hole and back off just a little. Then turn off and back on and you get even closer to the target.

blacktoe

eupharies

Jul 4, 2009

sorry stupid noob question but?

Im about to buy a metal detector, when you say about buying a pin pointer for your metal detector i guess.... wouldnt it already have 1... or wouldnt it be very good...

I know nothing about metal detectors or accessories by the way... what extras do you need to buy? or does it all come with the metal detector?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the confusion is with the name "pinpointer" these devices are not meant to pinpoint your find before you dig, only for use either in the hole or in the dirt you scooped out. Most experienced users dig a flap and run the pinpointer around in the root part of the plug and down in the hole to "pinpoint" the target.

Hope this clears up any confusion that some new to the hobby may have.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread