To all new THs with questions

J

JamesM

To all new TH's with questions

I have been reading here regularly for about a week(actually hours every night), I have went through every post since date to try to gather as much infomation on the hobby as I could before I actually got my metal detector which shipped today.

So far I haven't found the need to ask any questions. All the posts are informative and very helpfull and almost every question has been asked and answered. So my advise is to go back and read the past posts. Not only will you get your questions answered but you will find answers to questions that you didn't know that you had.

For instance, myself being very new to metal detecting (actually never seeing one except on TV) I had no idea that there was a proper way to dig a hole? Been digging holes for 30 years and didn't think there would be any trick to it, but there is!

Anyway, just wanted to give some advise to someone new as myself and thank every here for all the answers to questions I didn't know I had.

Greats site and great group of people.

Thanks all,
James

Upvote 0

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: To all new TH's with questions

Frankly I WISH I could dig a "proper hole" here in arizona. It's more like trying to bust through concrete.

"digging" becomes "breaking hard scrabble"

I remember I had a ton of questions when I started a few years ago :)

Lots of luck to you.

OP
OP
J

JamesM

Well unfortunatly, I started reading after I purchased my metal detector, I just looked for something in my price range that could afford for something to sit next to my telescope that was in the garage without too much of a loss if I didn't like it.

I didn't know of any name brands or about any features I needed, again I have never saw one. I bought a BH Lone Star off ebay for $139, I thought it was probably a good deal because bass pros sells them for $219. I know there is a lot of people on these boards that do not like or trust the BHs so I never mentioned it.

I have been wanting to try metal detecting since I was a kid but my familiy could never afford one and now I have kids so thought this would be something for my daughter and I to do together.

Anyway I am going to try it and give it a fair shake to see if I like it. If I enjoy it, I might upgrade in the future.

On another note I followed advise of some people on these boards and went to the library today to do some research, Oldest news papers they had on micro film was 1889. It really wasn't much help because the town was so small not sure they had any street names other than Main, all of the advertisements to the buisnesses just say located Jonesboro Arkansas, also there wasn't any maps there of the city when it was that old.

But I did find out that a lot of those buisness owners that owned the buisnesses then has many of our streets off main with thier last name.

I did have one lucky strike today. There was a empty lot on main street really close to the old buisness district and I asked the neighbors who owned it and fortunatly the people in one of the old two story homes on the other side of main were part of the familiy of the man that owned the lot. I asked them if they minded me metal detecting it and she made a phone call to her brother-in-law who was the actual owner and he gave me permission. This is going to be one of my first lots besides my own to ever detect.

I walked around the lot today for about 30 minutes picking up any cans and foil wrappers I could find. Next weekend I hope to be running my detector on it. Which I should get thursday.

James

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I would recommend hitting a local club, or finding a seasoned detectorist in your area for 2 reasons.

#1 There is always something you don't know. Even tho it sometimes feels like they look down on you seasoned folks are worth listening to. (Sometimes they even admit their own mistakes *GASP!*, I know personally I never make any mistakes, *cough*, heh)

#2 They can show you the brands and models of detectors they use, and most will probably let you try them out. I think if you test theirs on the same target you test that bounty hunter on it might give you a tad more confidence to see they really aren't THAT much different.

This is a tough sport to get into because it takes a pretty big investment up front. I will admit I was really worried that spending 700$ on my first detector would flop, but looking back now I bet I could go out and have the same fun with a Bounty Hunter that I do with my XLT.

OP
OP
J

JamesM

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a club near me or anywhere near NE Arkansas. I have looked for some sites on the net and most of the clubs in Arkansas are in south Arkansas. I have never seen anyone detecting anywhere around here in the 14 years I have lived here and I have spent a lot of time in places where detectorist would hang out I think.

There isn't a dealer here unless you count Radio Shack or Wal-Mart and the closest place that there may be a club is in Memphis TN which is about a 45 to an hour drive from my home. So basically I figure I am solo for awhile which might not be too bad if the majority of the places around here are a untapped resource.

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The brand of detector does not make all that much difference as long as it is not a "Toy" type, applying your self to learning how to us it is what makes the difference, learn to use what you have, ask others that you are hunting with to let you try theirs out for a few minutes. Build your self a test bed if at all possible, bury at least one of every size coin,some junk rings, junk foreign coins are cheap at coin dealers and make good targets, map your test bed so you know what you are hearing and seeing, check it dry and wet, hot and cold then you will be learning. I actually prefer a machine without depth and target id. I dig about all targets anyway, thats the reason I have so many what is its! But I have never owned a detector that has not paid for its self in time. Research is the key, some day you too will find that old saloon site that has never been detected.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread