Ace 250 Behavior

G

Grampsironlung

Newbie to the hobby here. 100% hooked. Had a question that I didnt find anything about on the boards.

For the most part, my ACE does this annoying thing. When I sweep over a buired target from left to right, it will often give me a coin signal. But when I sweep back right to left, I more than not get a foil/iron signal. If I dug everytime I got this, I would get arthritis from all the bending.

Is this normal behavior? Does it usually indicate foil/iron? I have only found a few coins so far, and the quarters were the most accurate signal at about 3 inches. A few pennies had solid signals too, but bottle caps and pull tabs can also show up as pennies Ive discovered.

The only part that bugs me is the different signals I get swinging left to right. It happens so often Im wondering if Im missing a lot of good stuff. But so far its been all trash and in one acase a dime when I dig that kind of signal.

Anyone else come across this? Does each Individual ACE have its own quirks or are there good ID patterns for all of them that just take some getting used to?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Gramps,
you're not alone with this problem.
Go to reviews for Ace 250 and read there. It seems that the Ace will false on the first swing, but re-set and re-ID by the time you go back over object.

grizzly bare

T

tallpaul

yer ive heard this before,, i dont know much about the ace 250 ive heard good and bad,, mind you ive heard good and bad on every machine lol,. hope you get sorted gramps HH paul,,

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
in my expieriance with the ace,when the target id is jumping around 90% of the time it is a trash item. most of the time the target id will lock onto a good target. i say "most" of the time because it can jump around if the target is at a wierd angle or is difficult to read for some reason.try scanning from several different directions to try to get a more stable reading.also try bumping up the sensativity a few notches to see if that helps.keep in mind that target id screens are only a tool and are not always correct. this is true with any detector at any price.the only way to be 100% sure that your not missing anything is to dig everything.keep at it and it will become a lot easier to see what the machine is trying to tell you.good luck!

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Gramps,
Allow me to phrase my answer a bit differently. For the past two and a half months, I've been swinging a 250 as my primary machine. I recently bought a White's IDX PRO and now my son, Josh, has the 250.
I am totally hooked on the Ace 250, but I had it long enough to know that I needed something different because of my primary hunting targets.
I experienced the same phenomenon you described on more than one occasion. It didn't bother me much. I swing over every target multiple times...even 'iffy' targets.
As has already been suggested, check sens and discrim. Check your manual and find that good swing speed.
Again, the changing ID will not be a big problem if you swing in two-three different directions. (I meant if you swing your detector in 2-3 different directions. I don't want to know how you swing)

grizzly bare

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I also swing the ACE 250 and have found it to be a great detector, but because of my primary hunting areas I have recently purchased a Fisher CZ3d.

I have found the target ID on the ACE 250 to be much more accurate at 4" or below. For a target deeper than that, I have found the ID will often (for me, almost always) jump around, even for a coin. The bigger coil improves this (but can be more difficult to use in trashy areas). So if you ignore jumping ID's that read 6+ or more on the display, it's my experience that you will be walking away from coins.

As for the one swing foil issue, most of the time you can re-swing from different directions (or even the same direction) and it will lock on the target if it's good. My problem has been whether or not to dig targets that jump to foil occasionally but are 'mostly' locked onto the target. I have dug most of these thus far and have a mix of good targets and junk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions