Question for the experienced

dmc15658

Jul 8, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to detecting and have a question to help clarify some things for me. I bought an X-Terra 705 pro that has both the 5x10" and 9" coil. I live in Ligonier Pa about 1/2 from the fort (circa 1750's) so Im into relics and really want to focus on that. I've been out a handfull of times and pulled pennies and the random pop can. My question is which coil is better for the fields Im working, is there an advantage either way. I've been using the 9" and havent brought out the other yet but I am starting to feel comfortable with the settings.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Danielle

Upvote 0
K

Kentucky Kache

I prefer the larger coils, as long as they don't skip over the smaller stuff. I use a 15" Blue Max that does really well.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Isn't each coil a different frequency with those machines? If so, you may want to use your other coil, too.
Different frequencies make a huge difference what shows up.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as a general rule --big coils go deeper and small coils are better in trashy areas ---for picking "good items" out of iron or trashy aluminum infested areas --small coils having smaller size they tend not to find more than one target at a time ( which co mingles the signal aka as "masking" --say a "junk" iron item blocking out a copper or silver item which helps you to "cherry pick")--- in relic hunt however iron can be what you looking for --so the bigger coil in all metal mode would be my choice-- for max "depth"

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
With the minelab x-tera Series...Each coil is a diffrent freq.Thus each coil(freq) is for a diffrent use.Large coils are Better for coverage and Depth..But You need to Find out which freq is the one you want for relics..The x-tera series are used for gold alot..Thus they make a coil for gold..You may have one of those gold coils,Check at www.findsmall.com..There is an X-tera forum there and someone will have an answer for you if no one does here.You have a great machine tho..I use the E-trac myself,but considered the 705 .All the luck to you........HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread