Ok, So I had a run-in with a city park worker this morning.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I like to head out just before sunrise since it's hotter than hell here.

Went to a local "sports complex". Hit the sandy playground areas first, but only found a quarter and a penny, no trash (A sure sign to me that it's been gone over recently). So I move on to the soccor fields.

The fields are taped off with yellow "CAUTION" tape, seems they are being worked on. Ok, no problem, I head for the bleachers that have a nice grassy area around them (30' from the field).

I check around them for about a half hour and find about 30 misc. clads. Then a park worker drives up in his little green mini-cart.

"Sir, we would appreciate it if you keep off the fields"

... I look over at the yellow tape, and the muddy field, then the concrete barrier between the field area and the bleacher area.

"Ok, no problem" (Almost can't believe I was so nice, it's not like me)

"And BTW", He says, "Nobody has been in this area for 5 months or more, I suggest you go try the playground and the sand volleyball courts"

Well, that would explain why those areas would have few finds left in them.

I think the only thing that annoys me is if you want people to stay away from the bleachers too, then why was the yellow tape only around the field? I get the feeling he just wanted to be a pain.

Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have asked him , "Excuse me sir. Do you have a copy of the local ordinances?" If he said no, then you could have said, "Well, there is no local ordinance to keep the public from using a public place such as a city park".
It sure would make him go back and look it up before he hassled you again.

I have a friend who used to buy the grounds keeper a six pack to bribe him into letting him hunt without being hassled. He would just show up and hand him the six pack and say you don't mind if I hunt for stuff around here do you?

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
The park workers in my area are the same. They seem to associate anyone using the facility's with more work for them. I have called the county on two occasions to inform them of there employees attitudes and have basically been told to ignore them.

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
wow... I think the funny thing is that the park people in the places I hunt are scared of me or something! Nobody says a word to me, in fact when I get there, they pack up and leave..... wierd.... Then again, I carry a predator and other knife like diggers for the finds, lol. I have run into some "not so nice" people at one of the parks I hunted. I think it was more a power thing than anything else. Just had to do a little name dropping, which I HATE to do but sometimes it has to be done, then go on my merry little way and keep on detecting. I like it when it is cooler tho, I just put on one of my "three letter agency" jackets and NOBODY comes near me!!!!!

8)

elkboy

Jan 29, 2004
Muncie, IND
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Spectrum
I've hunted local parks and had nothing but curiosity "what ya find"? that kind of stuff.? show them a couple of clad coins and pennies and they usually just walk off.? I also tie a small plastic grocerie bag on to my belt loop.? Pick up a few cans and paper to start and as they pull up, I pick up what ever is closesest.? In there mind it's less work for them to do by me cleaning up a little.

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The plastic bag trick on a belt loop works wonders once folks see you cleaning up the place...

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually asked permission in my town. Both the recreation director and service manager said it was Ok. Yesterday Morning I was in the tot lot right behind the police station. A police car pulls up and the officer starts to say I can't use my detector on city property. I explained that city management said it was OK. So instead he tries to hassle me about the knife I carry in a horizontal sheath on my belt everyday. Luckly I know the local knife laws and carry a legal pocket type knife, no springs or thumb studs. He walked away kinda upset. I don't get it!?

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think that no matter where you go, you will always find someone who is on a 'power kick' and feels that they just have to exercise their 'authority' over people.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I like to head out just before sunrise since it's hotter than hell here.

Went to a local "sports complex". Hit the sandy playground areas first, but only found a quarter and a penny, no trash (A sure sign to me that it's been gone over recently). So I move on to the soccor fields.

The fields are taped off with yellow "CAUTION" tape, seems they are being worked on. Ok, no problem, I head for the bleachers that have a nice grassy area around them (30' from the field).

I check around them for about a half hour and find about 30 misc. clads. Then a park worker drives up in his little green mini-cart.

"Sir, we would appreciate it if you keep off the fields"

... I look over at the yellow tape, and the muddy field, then the concrete barrier between the field area and the bleacher area.

"Ok, no problem" (Almost can't believe I was so nice, it's not like me)

"And BTW", He says, "Nobody has been in this area for 5 months or more, I suggest you go try the playground and the sand volleyball courts"

Well, that would explain why those areas would have few finds left in them.

I think the only thing that annoys me is if you want people to stay away from the bleachers too, then why was the yellow tape only around the field? I get the feeling he just wanted to be a pain.

Gosh, maybe I'm reading this wrong. Could it be the park worker suggested that you go to the other location because he thought you were more likely to find something there since the area you were in has been devoid of people for 6 months. It was only a sugestion.

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter
I keep a white hard hat and a pink vest, both of which I got at yard sales, in the trunk for parks and such. Never been hassled.......in fact I get waves from the park guys and passing police cars.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well he did say try the other sandy spots ... and you did say they were working on the soccer field (resodding it I would guess) so he's most likely being a bit protective of the "new grass" they are laying ...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I actually asked permission in my town. Both the recreation director and service manager said it was Ok. Yesterday Morning I was in the tot lot right behind the police station. A police car pulls up and the officer starts to say I can't use my detector on city property. I explained that city management said it was OK. So instead he tries to hassle me about the knife I carry in a horizontal sheath on my belt everyday. Luckly I know the local knife laws and carry a legal pocket type knife, no springs or thumb studs. He walked away kinda upset. I don't get it!?

Honeyman, your post is more common than you think. The same scenario comes up often: Someone (like you did here) "gets permission" to md his city's parks [as if permission is needed, but .... that's another topic, doh!]. So the md'r, like in your case, gets accosted him a busy-body griper. The md'r proudly whips out his "permission" to show. But the griper merely gets on his cell-phone, calls down to city halls and says "but he's tearing the place up!" (which isn't true, of course). Or gets you on some other meaningless morphed rule or law (saying you need a parade permit, or that you're bothering earthworms, etc....).

In your case, you're saying he only "walked away kinda upset". So not sure if that means he's going to go make a stink to someone , and lo & behold, on the city council's next agenda, perhaps the now "pressing issue" is under consideration for a rule or law ? I dunno. Perhaps nothing more will come of it.

But the bottom line is: FAR FROM BEING A WARM SOOTHING COMFORT, "permission" (for places you probably didn't need it to begin with) is often fraught with other problems. Ie.: can be over-turned on a whim by anyone who objects, or simply gets you a "no" where no rule truly says that, etc.... And like in your story: many people have been "sent packing, and felt like criminals" DESPITE their wonderful "permission".

There comes a point where we have to realize we're in an odd hobby that has "connotations" (that you might be about to leave a hole). So rather than think it's our obligation to please "every last person on earth with their princely blessings", sometimes it's better just to avoid lookie-lou busy-bodies, and just pick lower traffic times.

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plastic bag trick on a belt loop works wonders once folks see you cleaning up the place...
This ten (10) year old thread was resurrected by TIMEMACHINE, yesterday.
I think they are having fun with us.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about every subject brought up on Tnet has been mentioned before in some sort of context......"what's old is now new again". It doesn't hurt to bring up things that newbies have an interest in or maybe to get a fresh perspective. To me, yellow caution tape is just that.....be careful. It's not "keep out", "do not cross", or "no trespassing". I'll be extra careful for any added dangers and will use my normal "won't see a trace of me being there" recovery methods. The only thing I see new here is from Ranger121, but, I'm afraid I can't use his suggestion. I don't know about your town, but, around here, no construction worker is going to wear a pink vest and white hat....and live to tell about it. Well, maybe in San Francisco.....:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread